I have still been unable to get my copy of Lightroom 6.5.1 to launch on an M1 Mac, via these instructions or any variant I've tried. I was able to get it working fine on a 64 bit x86 Mac running 12.6, though, so it's an architecture issue, not an OS version issue.
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ff81e8fc7b9 Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x00007ff81e8fc7b9 Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 10 Bus error: 10 Terminating Process: exc handler  Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 0 libConfigurer.dylib 0x10b9550a7 0x10b901000 + 344231 1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x7ff80089a537 load_images + 1315 2 dyld 0x2031a7672 dyld4::RuntimeState::notifyObjCInit(dyld4::Loader const*) + 170 3 dyld 0x2031b1745 dyld4::Loader::runInitializersBottomUp(dyld4::RuntimeState&, dyld3::Array<dyld4::Loader const*>&) const + 167 4 dyld 0x2031b1733 dyld4::Loader::runInitializersBottomUp(dyld4::RuntimeState&, dyld3::Array<dyld4::Loader const*>&) const + 149 5 dyld 0x2031b1733 dyld4::Loader::runInitializersBottomUp(dyld4::RuntimeState&, dyld3::Array<dyld4::Loader const*>&) const + 149 6 dyld 0x2031b182c dyld4::Loader::runInitializersBottomUpPlusUpwardLinks(dyld4::RuntimeState&) const + 164 7 dyld 0x2031d1117 dyld4::APIs::runAllInitializersForMain() + 337 8 dyld 0x20319c369 dyld4::prepare(dyld4::APIs&, dyld3::MachOAnalyzer const*) + 3743 9 dyld 0x20319b281 start + 2289
My primary requirements are:
- Keep my photos in the folders where I placed them, rather than sucking them into a database and renaming everything. This eliminates Apple Photos as an option.
- Don't modify the original files except to write tags and other metadata into them.
- Do not store things in The Clown.
- Understand the EXIF tags that Lightroom already wrote.
- Make rating, tagging and tag searching easy.
- Make exporting to JPEG with presets easy.
I gave DarkTable a try, and it's an almost. It claims to understand the sidecar XML files used by Lightroom with raw files, but I find much of the UI baffling:
- There seems to be no way to display a set of photos full screen and go through and rate them one by one.
- The interface for displaying and editing tags is confusing and ugly, especially hierarchical tags.
- Presumably there's a way to show all photos that match a tag, but I haven't found it.
- I keep getting stuck in sub-modes where I can't figure out how to get back to my list of folders, and have to quit and restart.
What else is out there?