Death Cult

Many countries had partisan divides on Covid vaccination, but they were more lethal in the US than anywhere else.

It would be easy to dismiss this trend as merely exasperating -- an obstacle to progress on climate change and a source of irritation at extended family gatherings -- but over the past 18 months, the politicisation of attitudes to science may have directly cost as many as 60,000 American lives.

This is the stark implication of a new study from the Yale school of public health, which found that since Covid vaccines became widely available in the US, the mortality rate of registered Republicans in Ohio and Florida climbed by 33 per cent during America's winter Covid wave last year, compared with just a 10 per cent rise among Democrats.

Mortality trends for the two groups had tracked one another closely before the pandemic, and both spiked together in 2020, but when science presented the world with a protective shield, Republicans were loath to accept it.

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. CSL3 says:

I can already hear the cry-baby anti-maskers and -vaxxers whining, "Well, maybe we'd do it if you asked us nicely!"

I mentioned this under Violet's most recent Round-Up, how the thought of a nasal inhalant vax is a great idea (if they can ever make it work)... but it won't make much difference. The percentage of unvaxxed who just don't like needles is tiny (I had that same hesitation before 2020); the real problem is anti-vaxxers thinking the vaccine itself does everything from
    - implants 5G/GPS chips
    - actually give you the illness it claims to protect you from (which is what singer MIA said this week)
    - hurts some magical "natural immunity" you're supposed to develop from actually getting infected
    - and [insert other bullshit theory promoted by Alex Jones, MIA, Kanye West, and Eric Clapton]

Nearing the end of our third year of this shit. Yay for "Muh free-dumms!!"

• MattyJ says:

I thought about this right at the beginning. I wondered why the GOP would be so keen to spread misinformation that would likely shrink their base. Now it's coming true.

In the mid 90's to early 00's when people were having measles parties to expose their kids to the supposed natural immunity afforded by exposure, tons of more kids started dying than usual. They eventually started coming around. But, you know, lots of extra dead kids.

It's easy to look at this kind of crap and think "LOL they're killing their own base" but it's important to realize that in absolute numbers, they are not killing enough of their base to impact elections, or even undo any of the effects of their gerrymandering. So their ghoulish strategy is still working just fine.

• Nate says:

After plenty of contact with anti-vaxers, I think it really just comes down to false bravado based in entitlement. See also: chicken-hawks, "thin blue line".

Once people decided that they could sound tough and not have to do anything the government told them to do, it became in-group signaling. A mask is visible, and it would show that you're on the side of the "wrong" group of people if you were to wear one. And, given that an individual's risk of death is likely low, it didn't seem like it would cost much to participate in this signaling.

The number of GOP members who died from this is low compared to their absolute numbers, and their ability to rationalize this away is much bigger than the loss.

2. Krisjohn says:

Religious apocalypse cults and political death cults can only be combatted by free education, which is why the apocalypse cult wants to destroy education and the death cult wants to make it so expensive that it turns you into an indentured servant.

3. Soupdragon says:

Does make it look awfully like a selection event.

4. Rinze says:

It's the libs. I saved this article a while ago because it's glorious:

If I wanted to use reverse psychology to convince people not to get a life-saving vaccination, I would do exactly what Stern and the left are doing… I would bully and taunt and mock and ridicule you for not getting vaccinated, knowing the human response would be, Hey, fuck you, I’m never getting vaccinated!

[...] The push for mandates is another ploy to get us to dig in and not do what’s best for ourselves because no one wants to feel like they’re caving to a mandate.

• CSL3 says:

🤔 You seriously linked to Breibart on this website? Not a lotta fans of Steve Bannon's Nazi cesspool here.

The only "libs" at fault for the still-not-over-pandemic are libertarians like Elon Musk and countless Republicans. The right isn't being "bullied" for shit - they've been asked politely to 😷, get vaxxed, and social distance for nearly three years now. Y'know what happened each time? You didn't fuckin' do because you were never going to.

You assholes are using respectability politics as an excuse to turn yourselves into walking petri dishes. With the autumn/winter surge  having already started, the proliferation of the pandemic is your fault. Period.

Pretty sure Rinze was joking. I know it's hard to tell these days.

• Jay says:

Pause, take a deep breath. Rinze is not trying to convince you to agree with breitbart, at all. You can read crazy stuff - that, by the way, a large group of people actually believe in - without agreeing with it. I know we live in an era when sarcasm and generalized insanity are virtually indistinguishable from one another, but I think it's pretty clear that "glorious" doesn't mean "actually great and on point", rather the opposite.

• CSL3 says:

I already read Jamie's reply, I don't need you being pedantic.

• Jay says:

Wasn't trying to. I opened a bunch of tabs from my feed and when I got to this one your post said "9 minutes ago". I saw both your answer after I submitted mine 🤷

• Louis says:

Actually that op-ed is based on the premise that: the vaccine works, it's just "the left" doing a jedi mind-trick on "you,  dear right wing idiot article reader" to not take it.

So, it's an op-ed on Breitbart that is very much pro-vaccine. Isn't that amazing?

5. David K says:

The Ethical Skeptic, on Twitter, has been posting stuff for a couple of years now about how the vaccine causes injury and excess death. I consider myself fairly intelligent, but most of it goes over my head. Now I see this data from FT that is suggesting something nearly exactly the opposite. One thing I know is that there's enough data out there to make a graph that shows whatever you want.

For a couple of decades, I made head or tail out of the increasingly-biased news based on what different sources agreed on. Those days are GONE. The two sides that line up on every issue refuse to agree on ANYTHING any more. As someone who is actually just trying to "follow the science" here, I don't know what to think about it, or even how to sort it out.

• M Epton says:

Yeah, the key to me is that there's a lot less talking across sides now, so we see a lot less of two sides challenging each other to figure out which bits of accurate fact each side might have, to get that Venn Diagram going.

The best illustration of this to me is congressional hearings where each side talks only to their own witnesses, and so we can watch two realities coexisting in a single room.

And unfortunately press outfits these days take the easy route and just deny that counter arguments exist rather than investigating the arguments to either prove or disprove them.

This is all the process by which we get to that point.

• thielges says:

Occam’s Razor can help to separate the truth from the smoke and mirrors.   Every time I read a climate change denier or anti vaxxer’s argument, it always seems to go down some unusually complex rabbit hole with links to “research” that looks science-like but smells of a hifi salesman’s prattle.

I had an inspiration about a way to save this post-truth world which means of course it has some fatal flaw: require politicians  to abandon argument on anything that can clearly be proven by evidence, science, and logic.   Remove political bias whenever possible.   This means squelching the biased charlatans who pose as experts.  Academic credentials, peer reviewed publications, and professional commitment can be used to filter the pool of experts.   Though some jokers will slip through, they will be outnumbered by the real truth seekers.

• tfb says:

So, you know, on one side are thousands of people who were so careful about the safety of the vaccines they had made early in 2020 (first Oxford vaccine made was I think early March 2020, I bet the others were similar) that they spent the better part of a year, in the middle of pandemic which was killing millions of people, in trials to make sure they were safe and worked.  People who, you know, do this whole science and ethics thing.

On the same side you have the enormous number of lives saved by vaccines over the last century or so.

On the same side you now have this evidence that people who refuse the vaccines are dying in much larger numbers than people who don't.

And on the other you have some halfwit fruitcake on twitter, posting meaningless junk like

It is not simply the probative and reliable nature of the data one has sourced, but moreover the relative dynamic in how that data changes over a significant or critical period of time, which allows the astute investigator to draw key inference.

and spreading obvious disinformation about vaccines.

And you can't tell the difference?  Really?  Because you know what? I can.

• tfb says:

Incidentally, if it hasn't occurred to you that in a health system driven close to collapse by CV19, death rates for other things will rise somewhat then I don't know what to say.  Because half the fucking point of lockdowns was to prevent health systems from collapsing which is very, very bad news if it happens.

6. Mark says:

Rush Limbaugh (may he continue to rot) once said that the "four corners of deceit" are government, academia, science, and the media. This kind of chart is what happens when people are conditioned only to believe in right-wing media, to the exclusion of all else.

7. EricE says:

let the bodies hit the floor...