Over the years, BART has taken numerous steps to mitigate the pigeon population at the station. Hundreds of bird-repellant spikes and netting can be seen fastened to ledges, pipes, fare machines, and other surfaces in the station, which received a total makeover in 2021.
"We brought in owl statues, we tried nets, we tried various measures with noise. We did quite a bit to see how we could gently move them along," said Wahid Amiri. "Nothing was successful." [...]
Ortiz said he's never "seen more done to deter pigeons at a single location," including at the landfills, resorts, and farms he's worked at previously. [...]
There are alternative and more hostile modes of dealing with pigeons, including horns, "bird bombs," and poisons. Employing a hawk for abatement has proven to be less disruptive and often more effective. [...]
Pac-Man is not bothered by the business of the station, Ortiz said. "These birds are used to hustle and bustle. The noise from the BART train doesn't even faze him," he explained. And Pac-Man gets lots of treats throughout the day -- quail, rodents, rabbits, and other fare hawks like.
The "TweetDeck" app was simply a wrapper around a web page. The "app" itself barely exists, it's a WebKit "Hello World", but they explicitly went out of their way to ensure that it no longer works. Not just "no longer updated", they fucking sabotaged it on purpose.
Loading the web version sucks, because it means that:
- I need to keep my web browser logged in to Twitter all the time. When it was an app, Tweetdeck accessed Twitter's server, and that was it. Little Snitch was able to enforce that. None of Twitter's embeds or trackers worked on other sites, and I liked it that way.
Maybe keeping it in a "private" window would mostly address that, but:
- Being a browser window and not its own app means that it doesn't get its own dock icon;
- it counts as a most-recently-used window in the browser window stack;
- it consequently screws up which screen new "real" browser windows show up on;
- And probably other annoying shit I haven't even noticed yet.
Fuck you, Twitter. I hate you. I hate you. I hope Apartheid Emerald Mine Space Karen fucks your shit up so badly, the children of VCs tell campfire stories about it for generations.
Update: A few folks below recommended using Fluid App to generate an app-containing-a-web-page (basically what Tweetdeck was before) and so far that seems to be working out pretty well...