"Oh no."

Internet Explorer is now incompatible with Microsoft products, as announced by the company in a blog post Wednesday.

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Amy says:

Internet Asploder has been dead to me for a lot longer than that.

2. Glaurung says:

The horses fled that barn a long, long time ago.

This dead horse still needs kickin'.

• Glaurung says:

I was commenting on how Microsoft is doing something to the barn a decade after the horse left.  Agreed the horse was awful and deserves all the scorn that can be heaped on it even if it is now deceased.

3. CSL3 says:

Good. Now, maybe it'll stop coming up in my daily scans despite not otherwise even being on my laptop (bad enough I can't properly shut off Edge, but have done everything to block it).

No one wanted IE, no one liked IE, no one misses it now that it's gone.

4. MC says:

I finally switched to Firefox after reading this:

ContraChrome

I mean, I knew better, but Chrome was faster and I'm lazy.

• shaoyu says:

I'm with you, Chrome is the new Internet Explorer

• dorukayhan says:

At least Chrome isn't complete shit like IE was, and it being technically open-source to some degree means it can have forks that are even less shit (e.g. ungoogled-chromium).

It is true that Chrome "isn't shit" in that it displays every web page quickly and correctly, but  much of that is attributable to Google's monopoly power, in that every web developer tests on Chrome first, iOS second, and nothing third. Hey, wait, that sounds like exactly the status quo in 1999 through 2006, except then it was MICROS~1.

So instead of the gatekeeper of the web being the world's largest device-driver vendor, now it's the world's largest advertising company, and frankly, that's still kind of shit.

5. narf says:

We will still have the husk of this rotting corpse to deal with for a decade.

I work for a hospital/medical university. Just in the area *I* cover I have two teams that absolutely have to keep IE compatibility. One *says* they will be compliant at the end of the month. The other had their vendor tell me "Full upgrade to Chromium will be early 2023 at the earliest."

First needs Silverlight. Second needs ActiveX.

FML.

There is also the group where I (checks phone) just got a virus alert for 45 minutes ago (WannaCry) because their system needs to stay on Win 7 32-bit and use FUCKING IE 8! It's only been 2 years since we've told the vendor, no bueno.

Glad to see it go, but it's still going to be a huge fucking headache for a long ass time.

• prefetch says:

The us.mil only got rid of their 8" floppies in 2019. But at least they had a somewhat legitimate use case.

It'll be interesting to see how much lighter web libraries will get now they can finally ditch all the 'IE workaround' cruft.

6. Eric says:

Internet Explorer the application may be dead, but the implementation of it has been a COM component baked into Windows since... I want to say Windows 98? They can't fully remove it without breaking who knows how many applications.

• phuzz says:

The settings page for Internet Explorer is still part of Windows, if you want to adjust any "Internet Settings" (eg setting a system wide proxy server).
      I almost feel sorry for the Microsoft programmers having to remove it, parts of that code are probably older than they are.

• Adolf Osborne says:

I thought they were rather famously on the record as saying that it was so intertwined with the operating system that it would be impossible to disentangle them.

Leading to the interview where someone (Balmer? Gates?) was stumped by the interviewer's question, "If Internet Explorer is an integral part of the Windows operating system, what part of Windows is Internet Explorer for Mac?" I can't find a reference right now but I'm sure one of you can.

Apple, of course, didn't learn this lesson, and made iTunes part of the macOS kernel.

• Glaurung says:

But IE mode in Edge will be supported through 2029, and that mode uses IE code to function, so all of this is basically theatre, like Apple killing itunes by renaming it without changing any of the functionality or even altering any of the bugs.

• My workplace has mission-critical code that depends on IE "compatibility mode" in Edge. We've been working on replacing it with a COTS product for over five years now. fML.

• Previously