Today in Ono-Sendai News

It's nice to see in-depth profiles of minor characters, or in this case, this barely-seen computer prop from Loki.

TVA Multifunctional Computer:

Update: Apparently it's not from the show, but a fan render.

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Dave says:

Whoever assembled this has never seen a tape deck.

• Nick Lamb says:

I think they've clearly _seen_ one, they just have no concept of how it could work or why.

Like, there are these buttons with little arrow symbols, they may have noticed that some devices have arrows which point different directions, and so to them it probably seems entirely reasonable to choose to have REW point the same direction as PLAY... you'd have to actually understand how it works to know that's crazy.

It's also fun looking at some modern tape decks built for the real world, which were designed by people who've no concept what's going on, e.g. this photo of grandfather's 1980s JVC RC-550 has a "tape counter", which seems to be some decimal digits for some reason so OK, I'll hook up a few GPIO lines and have an LCD which counts from 0000 to 9999 over and over when powered on and label that "tape counter". Done.

• Elusis says:

I don't know; I can't tell if it bothers or delights me that "play" and "rewind" point the same direction. It is the Time Variance Authority, after all.

2. Dan Hon says:

FWIW, the article seemed sketchy to me so I looked for an original source and then gave up after about a gazillion hits of blogspam. The designer mentioned in the body is JK Captain (unlinked of course), but their behance page has the full project.

It’s not the actual prop, but a fan render. Doesn’t make it any less cool, though, but does explain some of the weird off-kilter prop designer vibes.

Oh, well that's disappointing.

I could tell it wasn't a physical prop (because of the pixels) but with the way TV works these days it's not out of the question that the physical prop was a green cardboard box with some dots on it.

• Andrew Klossner says:

Yeah, it wouldn't have been an actual prop. The TVA world design worked hard to eschew all things digital.

• Previously