XScreenSaver version 6 beta 2

For details about what this is about, see my previous post.

Besides the list of things to try that I mentioned last time, I would also like some testing on these:

• If you are running a window manager that is capable of doing wacky things with the compositor, try turning on as many of those bells and whistles as you can and see if that screws up screenhacks, the unlock dialog, or fading and unfading.

• The unlock dialog shows your current keyboard layout now. If you use hotkeys to change the layout, give that a shot.

• If you understand how to edit .po files, it would be great if you could update at least one locale with the handful of new translatable strings, and let me know if the unlock dialog properly displays localized text.

• If you know anything about autoconf and can make the po/ directory not be insane, that would be nice.

• KDE: I still don't know a reasonable way to get KDE to stop blocking XScreenSaver's ability to connect to systemd, and thus avoid blanking while videos are playing. The least-bad way that I knew was to hand edit the /usr/bin/startkde script to have it launch ksmserver with --no-lockscreen, but that trick no longer works as of KDE 5.17 which launches it from a binary called startplasma-x11 instead. So if you know how to tell KDE to stop usurping org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver, please let me know.

• Unixen that are not Linux.
  • Linuxen that are not Debian or Fedora.
  • Hot-swapping monitors willy-nilly.
  • PBP monitors ("two HDMI one cup").
  • Fingerprint readers, or USB or bluetooth fobs.
  • Remote desktop clients or games that grab the mouse for long periods.

Launch it as "xscreensaver -log log.txt" and if anything goes wrong, send me the entire log file, and as many other details as you can about your system and what was going on at the time.

If there were any compilation problems, send me the entire output from "configure" and "make", as well as the "config.log" file.

Please note, this is a BETA release. Do not download this unless you are willingly participating in the testing of software that is probably flaky! And above all, do not distribute this version to other users.

☢ xscreensaver-6.00b2.tar.gz ☢

Do send me email and let me know what systems you've tried it on and how that went.

Thanks!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. leafnode says:

I'd love to see a starfield hack. Just a simple regular starfield. I don't have the wherewithal to write one myself.

• David Konerding says:

The starfield in glplanet has had a fair amount of work put into it. It wouldn't be hard to add a boolean flag that disabled drawing the planet, and then you'd have just the starfield.

• leafnode says:

That's a good idea, but still beyond my powers. I can build the latest version from Github on my Debian system without any trouble. But hacking the code itself? I'd not know where to begin...

2. Ömer says:

I have a computer with a recent Intel video adapter. I changed from the Intel driver to the modesetting one and that did not work well for xscreensaver 6 beta 2. (I don't know if earlier versions would have worked better.)

The username/password window is extremely slow. It takes up to a second for a keystroke to be recognised.

I'm not sure if this is a problem in xscreensaver but my real issue was that goop ran very slowly (~3,4 FPS) with transparency enabled at 3840x2160 resolution. All other screensavers are fine, goop is fine in a smaller window too. When I disable transparency, I get ~100 FPS, but 100% CPU use.

• Ömer says:

Actually I haven't been changing one thing at a time, and I think that the sluggish login box has nothing to do with the video driver. It's fine in xscreensaver 6b1, but not in xscreensaver 6b2 , ie 6b2 is very slow in recognising keyboard input, and does not display the *s as I enter my password.

Also the FPS and CPU in the corner keep flickering.

Strongly suspect that A) your video driver is fucked and B) the differences you think you are seeing between b1 and b2 are not actually related to the version of XScreenSaver that you are running.

• Ömer says:

Thanks, that's interesting. Also in b2, the login box is unresponsive even without a hack/just black screen.
          I'll try to find a video driver that can run xscreensaver.

3. Patrick says:

Was going to try this on Solaris 10/SPARC, but apparently I don't have XInput2...

Is this something I can install?
    I run Xsun, not Xorg.

Would be fun to give the XVR-1200 framebuffer some work - it has some level of GL support after all.

Beats me! My understanding is that it has been a part of X since X11R7 in 2009. I don't know what version of X Xsun purports to be.

• Patrick says:

Seems to be R6 according to the headers. Fits with the timeline as well - Solaris 10 itself dates to 2005 and Xsun doesn't seem to have undergone any changes since then.

Oh well - I guess I'll have to keep staring at a fucking Oracle logo when the screen is locked.

• pete23 says:

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but as this beta is the clean up of generations of cruft - have you tried installing a (much?) earlier version instead? I'd hate to think of anyone staring at Oracle logos.

4. 534n says:

Hello from Detroit, Mi.
    I will be installing this on my systems, sadly & unfortunately I only have debians installed atm; due to time constraints probably will not have time to install other OS's to install this and report back.

..but have installed the f-droid port on several arm64 devices!(thaaaaank yoooou!!!!)

5. phryk says:

Running on FreeBSD, built and installed on first try with:

./configure --prefix=/home/phryk/.local
    gmake
    gmake install

But when I try running xscreensaver-settings or xscreensaver-demo, I get:

xscreensaver-settings: 15:00:26: could not load "xscreensaver.ui"
    from /usr/local/share/xscreensaver/ui/ or current directory.

~/.local/share/xscreensaver does exist, however only containing a directory called "config", no "ui". ~/.local/local/share does not exist, in case that's where it's actually supposed to show up.