Twitter's kwality engineering

This happens just about every time I click on a twit that someone sends me.

Usually I only have to click 8 or 10 times.
Usually by then I realize that I didn't really need to see it anyway.

Previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Scott Yates says:

That has literally never happened to me. I wonder what is different about your setup (almost everything I imagine). If that was a common occurrence, you would think more people would be talking about it.

Either way, it must be very frustrating.

It's only frustrating in that these chumps are effectively the ones in charge of the nuclear launch codes.

• Scott Yates says:

Ok, now THAT is a scary thought! Let's just keep twitter as a "virtual" dumpster fire please. 8)

• Simon Büttner says:

That literally happens every time I open a link in Firefox on Android.
      This nehavior startet at least two years ago and did not change over multiple Android devices and versions.

The only way to "fix" it that works for me (owning a Twitter account does not work for me) is logging in.

• k3ninho says:

If I'm not logged in, I find that reloading the whole page context, instead of using their 'Try Again' button, can get it to show on the next try (admittedly with a non-zero number of fails to subsequent page reloading).

K3n.

• Nate says:

This works for me as well, after seeing the same behavior with the dumb Try Again button. I ignore it and just hit refresh.

I believe (no evidence) that this is an anti-fraud measure gone wrong. They are likely doing some kind of bot detection in JS.

• Guest says:

This happens to me literally every time I get a long from someone.

I have after many many years of studies into the subject matter of links and linking and the possible reasons for why this problem occurs, given up my efforts to ever get an answer, and shamefully press F5 (or which other incantation a browser bestows upon the user) to reload the page where the link lives. It seems to please the demons.

I'm slowly starting to not even bother with even that.

2. Seamus says:

Same deal with me – always on mobile (iOS). Not sure if it's punishment for using an ad blocker.

• Elusis says:

Happens to me every time too, in Chrome for Mac. And yes, between UBlock Origin, AdBlock Plus, and Privacy Badger, I'm sure I anger the referral-link gods.

(imagine being the god of referral links. Why is Terry Pratchett dead? Why??)

3. marijane says:

This has started happening to me recently, too. My workaround is to remove the "s=##" attribute from the end of the URL (which is annoying, anyway, since it hides most of the replies/threading).

4. dustmop says:

This happens to me nearly all of the time if I click a link which opens it in Firefox (not signed in to any social media). But if I copy-paste it into Chrome (used only for social media) it works.

5. pj says:

If you're just/mostly reading, you might try https://nitter.net/ ; they basically republish twitter by using the twitter API. They're privacy focused, and there may be a browser plugin to do an automatic redirect for you.

• George Dorn says:

Seconded. I originally was using privacy redirect to avoid visiting youtube, but when I started getting the same "Something went wrong" error on my phone I installed it there, too. Now the twit loads a great deal faster and without errors, and I can't reply to it or get involved in an unrelated shit-flinging contest.

6. Kyzer says:

If you're using a web browser, something has gone wrong. You weren't meant to leave the app.

Twitter would love it if you would kindly just delete your browser, your Instagram app, your Facebook app, and any and all other things competing for your attention. If you want a vision of the future, imagine scrolling through an angry dump of hot takes - forever.

7. Dude says:

Clearly, Twitter knows it's you and this is their way of copying the BLINK option of this very blog... or maybe all the site's excess of "Nazi bullshit" and "anti-vaxxer bullshit" has finally reached critical mass within the system?

8. Sheila says:

This happens to me all the time, even when I go directly to twitter instead of some rando tweet. I have to do a ctl-shift-R and that somehow fixes the problem.

9. Mike says:

This happens to me regularly and my guess is that it has something to do with Twitter fooling around with browser session magic?

If I click on a link to a tweet all by itself, it fails. But if I open a new tab, type in twitter dot com, let my (signed-in) main page load, then click on the link it will load as normal in its new tab.

10. morgan says:

Phew! It's not just me! Adding to the consistency of their top tier engineering, usually, clicking the Refresh at the bottom of the screen works first time.

11. David Konerding says:

individual tweets are known as "twats", not "twits", in the past tense. I shit, I shat, I tweet, I twat.

12. Jeremiah Blatz says:

I mean, you've been telling people to quit their job at Twitter for years. Maybe it's working and they can no longer get good developers?

13. Brent says:

It happens to me in Firefox when strict tracking protection is on.

14. aredridel says:

Friggin same. Yet if I hit refresh it works. They are such chumps and I don't know what they're smoking.

15. Derpatron9000 says:

When clicking a link on Android (Chrome) this happened every time. Refresh doesn't work, I have to manually hit the address bar again so that it'll load

16. not pj says:

For whatever is worth, I have the exact same experience as jwz (down to the part when I don't care about the contents anymore).

Nothing that can be expressed in 240 characters is worth clicking 12 times. That's just science.

17. Torkell says:

That's right up there with a website I discovered that makes an ajax request to load a piece of html containing the spinner to display while it's making ajax requests.

18. Beff Jezos says:

I get this often when I am using a VPN I have installed on a VM in a major cloud provider. I think they must block wide swaths of network to combat bots

19. Matt Lee says:

I had this, I had to turn off the tracking protection for the site.

• Previously