Savers

You'd think that with all this time on my hands, with my business being in a medically-induced coma, I'd have written a bunch of new screen savers by now.

Nope. I got nothin'.

Tags: , , ,

1. Chas. Owens says:

Time to add a bouncing corona virus? Maybe being blocked by a mask?

Or maybe a simulation of droplets being blocked by bouncing heads wearing masks while maskless bouncing heads spread droplets everywhere?

• Joey says:

That reminded me of the bouncing eye patch ping pong ball virus from Hackers.
      If you'd like to add more Hackers themed screensavers:
      - the graphics when his program starts changing the traffic lights 01:23:07ish
      - their boot-up screens when they are at Grand Central Station 01:24:33ish
      - their viruses 01:25:03ish - the cookie monster and rabbit ones could be pretty

2. Dude says:

Told myself that all these drafts I have half-written would all be full and complete by the end of March. Instead, I read (and re-read) this article more than I've actually written anything (save for freelance press work).

3. Jungle Dwayne says:

That Coronamatic 8000 picture poked some dormant neurons. That's the typewriter model I learned to type on, back in the seventies. I remember the ever-present hum the whole time it was turned on. The keyboard was extremely sensitive, and as soon as it detected a keypress it slammed the corresponding typebar onto the paper and the whole desk shook. The period and apostrophe actually made holes in the paper.

For those interested in typewriter history, I recommend the book "The Chinese Typewriter", which recounts the many ways people tried to solve the problem of designing a typewriter for a non-alphabetic language. Also includes some stuff on early encodings of Chinese characters. Written by a historian, not a techy, which gives it a refreshingly exotic character.

4. Tim says:

You've posted lots of interesting stuff, jwz. You've remained one of my favourite bloggers. Even if you hadn't, you're coping the best you can with the pandemic, and that's enough. You don't owe us anything, but we're thankful for what you've shared.

5. J. Peterson says:

Just set up a saver with a twitter feed of the GIFs from @BeesAndBombs and @jn3008.

I also set up a nice saver using the photos from @Zeptobars.

6. I have a similar platform I call the HTML 5 Playground, let me see what I've added to it during the pandemic...? Raining toilets, and raining potatoes. Productive!

7. Jesse Mullan says:

Sorry, buddy, everything is awful.

8. Lloyd says:

At least it's not just me who has made no progress at all.

I got nothing.

9. johannes says:

I don't know if you've mentioned it before, but, Jamie, do you write fiction? Your prose is incisive, acid, full of vitriol and always to the point; you have undoubtedly deep knowledge in many literary tropes, styles and culture references. You have an unpaired clear view of many things. If you ever publish a fiction book (maybe SciFi, maybe horror, maybe whatever) I would be the first to buy it.

• Ben says:

He's not Lewis Black, he's not "full of vitriol". Some people "don't say anything if they don't have anything nice to say", and other people have ethics, and jwz is in the latter group.

10. gordon says:

does XFlame have a dumpster fire mode yet? I realize you could use it to burn an image of a dumpster but I was thinking more about the flames coming out of a dumpster

11. Paul says:

Man Not Sure Why He Thought Most Psychologically Taxing Situation Of His Life Would Be The Thing To Make Him Productive

12. k3ninho says:

All your spoons* are gone to other things, no worries. Stay safe.

*: Spoons theory, a budget of energy and effort to use on stuff that gets exhausted before you get to start any of the stuff.

K3n.