In accordance with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), first trimester abortions are now exempt from unnecessary regulations for all individuals practicing The Satanic Temple's religious abortion ritual.
The Satanic abortion ritual provides spiritual comfort and affirms bodily autonomy, self-worth, and freedom from coercive forces with the affirmation of TST's Seven Tenets. The ritual is not intended to convince a person to have an abortion. Instead, it sanctifies the abortion process by instilling confidence and protecting bodily rights when undergoing the safe and scientific procedure.
Religious freedom ensures Satanists have access to safe abortions that are free from unwarranted state interference. Examples of requirements that cannot be enforced on Satanists are:
- Mandatory Waiting Periods
- The Requirement that Practitioners Withhold Certain Medical Information
- Compulsory Counseling Prior to Abortion
- Required Reading Materials
- Medically Unnecessary Sonograms
- Mandatory Listening to the Fetal Heartbeat
- Compulsory Burial or Cremation of Fetal Remains
As a federally-recognized religion, The Satanic Temple utilizes RFRA and the Hobby Lobby precedent to protect its members from unnecessary abortion regulations that inhibit their religious practices and force them to violate their deeply-held beliefs.
Satanic Abortions Are Protected By Religious Liberty Laws