I've been using Midtown Comics for several years now, and they're mostly fine, but there are some annoyances:
- They have no recommendation or discovery mechanism to speak of.
- When I read a review of a new series somewhere, it's usually 3+ months before it has been published, and until that happens, there's no magic button for me to press saying "send this to me when it's out." So I usually end up forgetting about it and missing it entirely.
- If you subscribe to a series when it's at, say, issue 6, there's no way to tell them to start your subscription at issue 1, even if those are all in stock. Sometimes they ship issue 5, sometimes 7, so I either end up with dups or have to wait for two shipping cycles to figure out what I missed.
- They have no way to subscribe to trades. Sometimes I'm happy waiting until 6 or 10 issues of a series have been bundled up into book form, rather than single issues.
- For the Big Two / underwear pervert titles, I wish there was a way to say "omit any issues that are in any way a part of an 'event' or 'crossover' because I absolutely do not care and those are always awful." But I know we'll never get that.
Please note: I do not read comics digitally and am not interested in hearing about that. I like paper.
Update: I find myself now forced to delete every comment where, in answer to a question about online subscriptions, responds with "why don't you just go physically into a store, during a plague?" Fucking knock it off. No.