Henrico County, Va. -- Nearly a year after a Glen Allen neighborhood woke up to find dozens of vintage box television sets sitting on their front porches, the strange circumstance has happened again. [...]
Lt. Matt Pecka with Henrico Police said more than one person "wearing a mask resembling a television" dropped off the TVs to "the majority of homes throughout the community." [...] Henrico Police and Solid Waste Divisions worked together to remove the more than 50 TVs.
The patterns on the goods in this shop are designed to trigger Automated License Plate Readers, injecting junk data in to the systems used by the State and its contractors to monitor and track civilians and their locations.
- Best Late-Night Restaurant: DNA Pizza
- Best Pizza: DNA Pizza
- Best Overall Bar: DNA Lounge
- Best Performance Space: DNA Lounge
- Best Live Music Venue: DNA Lounge
- Best Nightclub: DNA Lounge
- Best Dance Party: Bootie SF, So Stoked, Wasted, Sequence...
- Best Burlesque: Hubba Hubba Revue
- Best Kids' Event Or Venue: So Stoked
Because a few people asked for them, we put our pizza window posters on sale in the store. These are the 11"x17" versions, and are a paltry $15 each! Get 'em while they're "hot"?
"Someone took another one of our soap dispenser handles as a trophy" is a thing that I have to say on the regular. Whyyyy? Do you put it on the shelf with your collection of empty beer bottles?
It's been a little while since I posted a photo gallery round-up, so here we go...
"I can dial into an elevator phone, listen in on private conversations, reprogram the phone so that if someone hits it in an emergency it calls a number of my choosing," Caruana told me in our first conversation. [...]
Call up most elevator phones and press 2, and you'll be asked to enter a password to reprogram them. In far too many cases, Caruana says, phone installers and building managers don't change those passwords from easily guessable default codes, allowing anyone to tamper with their settings.
The object is designed to protect the image against face recognition algorithms used in modern cameras installed in public space. It is a kind of mask made of brass [...] This project was preceded by a long-term study on the shape, size and location of mask elements so that it actually fulfills its task. When testing solutions, I used the DeepFace algorithm, which is used by Facebook.
- Wed, Aug 28: Chaki is a funk alien wizard from Outer Space. With his unique take on electro funk, he has brought his weird stage show to festivals on earth and shared the stage with like minded weirdos Peelander Z, El Vez, Bob Log Iii, Metalachi, Captured By Robots and the Oingo Boingo Dance Party. Rolling Stone said he is "like Prince except not sexy and much fatter".
- Wed, Sep 11: Hot Laundry are a nonstop, maximum garage-soul and roll dance party the likes you haven't seen John Waters' first foray into teenage delinquency. They love P90's, fuzz boxes, cranked tweeds and tremelo on everything! Rock N Roll lets go... Down N Dirty Soul... Stomp/Surf/Beat... and Sonic Delta Blues! They eat fire! They wrestle gators! They lick flag poles!
- Wed, Oct 2: Sick Pigeon is an original punk band formed and rooted in San Francisco's Tenderloin district. The band was built on friendship, frustration, and an undying love for punk music. It could be said that Sick Pigeon is what happens when you mix an Ecuadorian street punk with a giant heart, a Bay Area native born & bred on California punk, and a Midwesterner with a passion for classic punk and an Italian who's a gypsy at heart. In Sick Pigeon, they blend their influences, defying genres and trends, simply doing what feels and sounds good to them; with elements of cumbia, reggae and ska taking the forefront at times. A 4-piece band at it's core, Sick Pigeon often adds a horn section for it's high-energy live sets.
We would love to expand this series to more than one day a month, and that is certainly a possibility.... if you show up! (Or if we find a second sponsor.) Support your local live entertainment!
But wait, that's not all!
They are absolutely fantastic, and you shouldn't miss this.
- If Tori Amos had been raised as a feral child, she might have sounded a bit like Kristeen Young. Like Amos, Young has a broad vocal range and embraces the piano as her musical instrument, but there's a wildly aggressive emotional energy in her work, as well as an intelligently transgressive mindset that marks her as a true original. She has released seven studio albums and has collaborated with Brian Molko of Placebo, Morrissey, David Bowie and Dave Grohl, producer Tony Visconti and the Damned.
Then we've also got:
I know we've been doing a lot of dubstep lately, but remember that we do all kinds of stuff here. Being all over the map is sort of our mission statement. I hope that some of this is to your liking!