Avoid Spikes

Day 26. Life is devoid of all but the smell of solder and ozone. Supplies low. Buried the thermistor today, or was it yesterday? At night, the spot-killer comes.

Previously, previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. Line Noise says:

The CRT in my Galaga upright failed the other day. My electronics-fu is weak so other than randomly poking my multimeter at various things I don't even know where to start.

I wonder if TV repair is even a profession anymore?

TV repair, maybe not, but arcade machine repair, definitely!

Fixing a CRT is definitely playing on the "advanced" setting, I'd say. Pro: very large components and traces. Con: very large voltages.

• Kevin says:

I did radio/TV servicing in the 70's as an apprentice. By the mid 80's it was dying. Jumped over to digital electronics and programming. Best thing I did. having said that, I do get friends bring me their old stuff to fix and I find that rewarding. I still like the old reel to reel tapes and record players etc.

• K J says:

Ten years ago there were still three or four TV repair shops in town. Five years ago, there was one. I suspect you'll only still find them in rural areas as a retirement hobby, or in big cities where they can keep going with business from arcade machines, embedded systems, etc.

• rcn says:

Try to find an old TV repairman, even if they're retired they'll probably try to help you just for kicks, most of them loved their job.
      My dad fixed his last CRT maybe some 25 years ago, I'm sure he can still look at one, spot the problem and fix it in one day if he has the components at hand. 80% of the time they failed because of the same 4 or 5 reasons.

• Line Noise says:

About 10 years ago I lived in a town that had a TV repair shop. I never took a TV there but I worked at a remote weather monitoring station so I used to bring in blown power supplies from weird and wonderful scientific instruments. He managed to fix every one.

I was back visiting the town not long ago and, alas, he is no longer in business.

2. Kyle Huff says:

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra...

3. Kevin says:

Wow, big heavy transformers are getting rare these days...

4. Doctor Memory says:

I understand that bathing in the warm phosphor glow and precise angles of the Wells-Gardner X-Y monitor is part of the joy of owning a Tempest, but given their horrific fragility and the fact that you're keeping this unit in a public place, you might want to consider a VectorVGA Tempest converter? They show up on ebay with some frequency, or if you can find a bunch of fellow sufferers the company that made them will sometimes do bulk custom orders.

On the other side of the video connection, there's this madness, which is an FPGA board that runs tempest and plugs into the monitor directly. It's a little unclear whether it'a actually for sale yet, but the guy making it is bay area.

• Previously