Files? Those are for old people, right?

DirtyOldTown:

[My kid] explained MP3s to a friend as "like printing off an internet article, so you can keep it around, because some people like that, I guess."

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. deater says:

In the "old man yells at cloud" part of my Network Engineering class, I asked the students why they thought Netscape gave away Navigator for free. Their answers were things like "ad revenue" and "branding" and other things that made me sad enough that I can't remember anymore as I've apparently blocked them out.

We won't even talk about their reaction when I tried to explain to them the concept of "netiquette". alt.fan.warlord made mildly more sense to them once I told them Linus Torvalds used to post there.

2. mozai says:

Why buy a song when you can stream it? ... until the day you can't.
    What's the music version of "cloud computing" so I can sneer and say "that just means 'some stranger's music collection'" ?

3. gorplop says:

I use the best of both worlds.

All my CDs I buy I rip and stuff that i listen to, but there is no way I can get it on a CD, I rip from YouTube. No Spotify or whatever auto-generated playlist can beat my directory structure. And some tracks on my playlist arent even on those services

• Christof says:

I ripped all my CDs and cassette tapes and uploaded them to Google Music for easy streaming.
      If I would buy music from Google I would also download it ... just to be sure.

• Russ Dill says:

'youtube-dl --extract-audio ' feels like napster reborn.

4. Owen W. says:

All humans think everything is permanent until they live long enough to see some form of real change, whether that's a death or just a favorite restaurant that goes out of business. I guess object permanence is a process that takes about 25 years to fully develop? By now I've got enough confidence in my own data / media hoarding that I don't give a shit when people turn up their nose at my collections (which aren't even that expansive!).

• tfb says:

If only that were true. In fact, people think everything is permanent until it turns out something important isn't. Then, for a few weeks, they remember that things aren't, until they forget and everything becomes permanent again. The people who thought Bebo was permanent are the same people who thought Google Code was permanent are the same people who think GitHub is permanent are the same people who think archiving single copies of critical scientific data is a good idea.

• tfb says:

I now realise I don't understand anything. I'm just an individual: if I die I'm not going to leave a millionth of that money locked away. But I have a file of master passwords which is GPG encrypted with my partner's key as well as mine, so in case of anything untoward happening stuff can be recovered without more pain (don't point out the issues with this: I do trust them implicitly).

I do admit that it's a while since I copied the GPGd version to the sacred USB keys, but I'm just a person: financial institutions controlling maybe billions of dollars of funds kind of ought to be able to do better than I can, right?

• Rich says:

To paraphrase Tanenbaum, never underestimate the network security of a bundle of cash under your bed.

5. jancsika says:

The righteousness of the kid's flippancy depends on whether or not they successfully block ads when streaming music.

If they do, then the takeaway is that the parent's mp3 stash looks by comparison like a depression-era granddad's doggy bag full of rolls, napkins, and straws from Red Lobster.

If they don't, then the takeaway is that someone in their future will effortlessly convince them to waste 10% of their Las Vegas vacation sitting through a time-share pitch for free tickets to Cirque du Soleil.

• Martin says:

Also whether they block or filter out YouTube's recommended neo-fascist recruiting videos. Fun for all the family!

6. Mark Crane says:

Seeing JWZ at Metafilter is like running into William Burroughs at Walmart.

7. With physical media making a resurgence as well, what is one to think?

Japan

Vinyl

8. Lloyd says:

Files are for old people.

Databases are the hot young thing. iPhoto? database. iTunes? database? email? no longer a flat file. database!

I'm typing this into a database.

• Previously