Another week, another round of bounces

Apparently godaddy has started blacklisting me. (That's rich.) Do any of you know an actual human with the ability to fix this? To the surprise of nobody, their "this is not spam" URL goes unread and un-acknowledged.

host smtp.secureserver.net[72.167.238.29] said: 552 5.2.0 tlRzg1a4wUChi - tlRzg1a4wUChitlS0gcjFz This message has been rejected due to content judged to be spam by the internet community IB212 - If you feel this is in error, please submit a request using the following page. <https://checkspam.secureserver.net/?sid=tlRzg1a4wUChi&mid=tlRzg1a4wUChitlS0gcjFz>

Incident IDs 38224588 and 38278974, for what that's worth, which is apparently nothing.

If you've stopped receiving DNA Lounge announcements or order confirmations, thank your ISP, I guess.

Previously, previously, previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. airdrummer says:

i've been wrestling with gmail bouncing emails fwded from lusers' bluehost accts to their gmail accts b/c they cant figure out how to pull them & they cant b inconvenienced/bothered to lo access their bluehost mailboxes directly and then expect me to fix it;-/

so google/isps/et al r now our defacto censors, deciding what we can read:-/
    the intarwebs is feudal if not futile;-}

2. Alius Ratio says:

A 552 5.2.0 error is because of an URL attached or in the email. Lot's of times its a third party link that has been included in an email. For what it's worth your mail servers IP doesn't come up on any of the blacklist lists.

I know all of these things, which still leaves me with no way to fix it. Godaddy is the only one bouncing me these days. "Don't include URLs in your calendar mailing" is not solid advice.

• christopher neitzert says:

wow, someone said that?
        That is beyond stupid. Almost the stupidest thing i have heard today but not quite.

• tfb says:

If that's the problem one solution might be to run some kind of redirecting thing: then the URL that the spam detector sees would be a dnalounge.com one.

This is a terrible suggestion because it means, at least, one more thing you have to run which you have to maintain for ever. And people might be less likely to pay attention to such links.

Is there some easy way to do a "/redir?url=elsewhere" kind of thing with mod_rewrite? Not a proxy, just a 302. I poked at it a bit but couldn't figure out how to get the target to be destination URL to be un-quoted properly.

OTOH, if I was the kind of pinhead who decided to shitcan messages based on what URLs they link to, it would probably be a textual match anyway, so that wouldn't even help.

• Nick Grimshaw says:

(insert Standard Annoying Disclaimer about not having tried it)

If you pass the URL in the _path_, rather than as a query parameter, does that maybe solve your escaping-issues? I'm thinking something like the way archive.org use e.g. `https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://jwz.org/blog`

Let's just go ahead and assume that I've tried a bunch of things so if you don't have working code to prove otherwise, the answer is no.

• Nick Grimshaw says:

I tried this; it solves the escaping issues that I guess you were having. It may not solve your pinhead-related issues. If it breaks you can keep both pieces etc etc.

~$ grep redirect.local /etc/hosts

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
              <html><head>
              <title>302 Found</title>
              </head><body>
              <h1>Found</h1>
              <p>The document has moved <a href="http://jwz.org/blog?worksfor=me">here</a>.</p>
              <hr>
              <address>Apache/2.4.33 (Unix) Server at redirect.local Port 80</address>

3. Juggle says:

Ugh, you have my sympathies as that brought back an ugly memory I thought I had suppressed. About 5 years ago they blocked one of our mailservers. Not just blacklisted it - full on blocked it at the firewall. I had to spend a week trying to convince them that yes that was what they had done because they kept sending me to mail ops who kept saying "you're not blacklisted and we have no record of any bad behavior from your IP". To which I had to keep explaining "Great, but our server still can't relay through you because you're blocking at at the network level let me talk to network ops" Only to have network ops say "We don't do that kind of thing you need to talk to mail ops they must be blacklisting you". Finally after a little more than a week of being bounced back and forth they found the block and removed it - but never gave any explanation as to why it was there in the first place while still claiming they never did that kind of blocking.

• Lloyd Wood says:

How can you think that you have a memory suppressed, when thinking about the memory shows that it is not suppressed?

And why don't I get invited to parties?

4. That also honks.

I've asked a few people I'm friends with who may know somebody at GoDaddy.

(I don't personally know anybody who works there. Because… well, "reasons"?)

5. Jwz, hey i heard about this over on the engine of graft (facebook) from one of our mutuals.

I got a few 2nd degree contacts over there in their leadership. Let me see if I can get their attention for you.

6. mandrake says:

Poke me directly. I'm friends with the GM of productivity group that handles email. Tickets that go into the queue you submitted a ticket into can take a ~48h to process. Chris Neitzert on this thread reached out to me (looks like he also knows merlyn but the name isn't ringing a bell right now so I don't think I know him directly)

-mandrake

7. Baker says:

Jamie, I work at GoDaddy. We are looking into it. We will get back to you promptly.

8. jwz says:

Since in this modern world the only way to actually contact tech support is to A) know somebody or B) yell about it on Twitter, here's a twit thread where I find their social media intern to be less than helpful.

"Please include your GoDaddy customer number". Siiiiigggggghhhhhhhhhh.

• While I agree that having your tech support be dependent on the breadth of your network (and, I guess, your celebrity) sucks bowling balls through a garden hose: did the several "actually employed by GoDaddy" people who turned up here after various people kicked the bushes a bit actually fix your problem? Just curious, mostly.

Beats me. And I won't actually know that it's fixed until next week.

• Joe Luser says:

The moron over on the twit is asking him to email her the content of the email that they are blocking because of its content. So outlook not so good.

• BHN says:

Request additional information - including information they've already sent - ad infinitum until they just give up and go away.

I think they owe Concast royalties for use of a patented customer service technology.

• You're aware that that thing you're referring to on Twitter was partly in response to me, right? And sent before I asked the question above?

9. drewb0y says:

I've dealt with this many times for quite a few clients. Mostly they have had issues from being on shared GoDaddy servers and some one else on said server has gotten the whole IP blacklisted. It's a pain to deal with. YMMV May not be your specific issue, just throwing it out there. Good luck