The DOD had not publicly acknowledged the program's existence until it was revealed by media reports. It was was "largely funded at the request of Harry Reid," then Senate majority leader, to the tune of $22 million between 2007 and 2012. [...]
According to the New York Times, much of its budget went to the Nevada-based Bigelow Aerospace, a company belonging to Reid's longtime friend and UFO hunter, Robert Bigelow -- also a protagonist of the documentary Hunt for the Skinwalker about the billionaire entrepreneur's famed extraterrestrial hotbed, Skinwalker Ranch.
The first hints about the program's existence can be credited to Luis Elizondo, a military intelligence official who managed the operation for seven years. When Elizondo resigned, he requested that footage of UFO encounters with fighter jets be made public -- videos that were subsequently published by the New York Times and the Washington Post. At the time, Reid sought to tighten security around the program's discoveries.
As grifts go, though, this is small-time: it's only half of what the DOD pays the NFL annually for "military tributes".
Head of Pentagon's secret 'UFO' office sought to make evidence public:
The existence of the program, known as the Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program, was confirmed officially for the first time Saturday by a Pentagon spokesman. The acknowledgment came in response to media inquiries, which were generated in part by a start-up company Elizondo has joined since retirement. The private company specializes in promoting UFO research for scientific and entertainment purposes.
So what I'm getting from the above is that the DOD is now privatizing the disinformation campaigns that it used to run in-house?
Here are the greatest hits from the list of titles.
And I can't help but notice that many of these take form of, "Kooky Mad Science Concept, Dr. X, Kooky Mad Science Ventures". This positively reeks of, "I spun up a single-use LLC to use to apply for a specific grant for my fanfic."
- Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion, Dr. George Miley, Univ. Of Illinois
- Advanced Nuclear Propulsion for Manned Deep Space Missions, Dr. F. Winterberg, Univ. of Nevada-Reno
- Advanced Space Propulsion Based on Vacuum (Spacetime Metric) Engineering, Dr. Hal Puthoff, EarthTech International
- Invisibility Cloaking, Dr. Ulf Leonhardt, Univ. of St Andrews
- Traversable Wormholes, Stargates, and Negative Energy, Dr. Eric Davis, EarthTech International
- High-Frequency Gravitational Wave Communication, Dr. Robert Baker, GravWave
- Antigravity for Aerospace Applications, Dr. Eric Davis, EarthTech International
- Positron Aerospace Propulsion, Dr. Gerald Smith, Positronics Research
- Concepts for Extracting Energy from the Quantum Vacuum, Dr. Eric Davis, EarthTech International
- Warp Drive, Dark Energy, and the Manipulation of Extra Dimensions, Dr. R Obousy, Obousy Consultants
- Technological Approaches to Controlling External Devices in the Absence of Limb-Operated Interfaces, Dr. R Genik, Wayne State Univ.
- Materials for Advanced Aerospace Platforms, Dr. J. Williams, Ohio State Univ.
- Metallic Glasses, Dr. T. Hufnagel, John Hopkins Univ.
- Aerospace Applications of Programmable Matter, Dr. W. McCarthy, Programmable Matter Corporation
- Metallic Spintronics, Dr. M. Tsoi, Univ. of Texas, Austin
- Space-Communication Implications of Quantum Entanglement and Nonlocality, Dr. J. Cramer, Univ. of Washington
- Aneutronic Fusion Propulsion I, Dr. V. Teofilo, Lockheed Martin
- Quantum Tomography of Negative Energy States In the Vacuum, Dr. Eric Davis, EarthTech
- Negative Mass Propulsion, Dr. F. Winterberg, Univ. of Nevada-Reno
Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.