Fucking Apple.

Dear Lazyweb: Why won't iOS 12 ever show me a mail notification? Messages notifications work fine. I have all the obvious things checked, and Do Not Disturb is off. Server logs show mail being downloaded, but it never notifies or badges.
Tags: , , ,

1. bizzyunderscore says:

Apple does this every single fucking time. They build something amazing (the mac, macos, osx, ios, the iphone) and then sail right past perfection, into utterly unsustainable clusterfuck complexity. You can set your watch by it (unless its an Apple Watch, in which case, sorry)

2. mdhughes says:

I get mail notifications, but they only beep when it's locked, and I have to unlock to see them in notif center. You may already have this, but under Settings, Notifications, Mail, each account has different settings. Also only @mac.com and Outhouse mail instantly gets push notifs as far as I can tell, my hosted mail and gmail check every 5 minutes.

Maybe you have "Alert on lock screen" un-checked.

The speed at which it discovers the new mail (polling or pushing) isn't the issue; it's whether it notifies once it has actually downloaded it.

If you want timely notifications you have to use Outlook instead of IMAP (which you can accomplish by having a Z-Push proxy in front of your IMAP server).

3. Dan says:

I just tried it and it worked: Gmail, iOS 12.0.1, mail settings: Allow Notifications, Alerts on Lock Screen, Badges, Show Previews Always. Result: email notification on lock screen, badge on Mail app. No idea why it isn't working for you.

4. Glaurung says:

More than once, I have run into problems on IOS where a setting shows as being "on" but every indication is that the setting is actually "off", or vice versa. Going into settings and turning the damn thing off then back on seems to fix it.

I know, I know, it's a fucking binary setting. You'd think that there's no way to screw up displaying it as on if it's on and off if it's off, but this is Apple we're talking about.

• Rich says:

This makes sense, and isn't an Apple thing. Daemon gets itself screwed up somehow, process is running but not working.

There's been more than a couple of times I have to write simple daily or hourly job restarters just to make something reliable. NIS, autofs, NFS being the ones that spring to mind; but there're more. Waaaaay more.

5. jwz says:

Woo, the 12.1.1 update magically made them start working again.

Wait, no it's not. It's still using some kind of default set of notification settings. If I have Mail notifications on at all, I can't change or turn off the sound, and I can't change the vibration pattern. Wheeeee!

• dzm says:

When I go to Settings -> Sounds & Haptics -> New Mail I get all the expected options for Vibration and Alert Tones. Under Settings -> Mail -> Notifications there seems to be some options that control what types of notifications each mail account can do (options offered are Alerts, Sounds, Badges, Show Previews). This seems like a second path to get to Settings -> Notifications -> Mail, and the options under there look the same to me.

I'm assuming you've already followed these paths and are still in a place of sadness.

There have been times that I've cleared up general crapness by resetting "Network Settings" (note: don't do this unless you're desperate. It evidently blows away saved credentials, etc) at Settings -> General -> Reset. This is evidently the "tactical-nuke" option versus the "nuke it from orbit" option of doing a full reset.

Wow, they don't seem to be two paths for the same thing because right now I have them set to different values.

I had previously wiped the phone and restored from backup, but today I tried Reset All Settings, which was super annoying because I had to re-enter everything. I'm not sure it changed anything.

But maybe bonking the settings back and forth in both places got it un-stuck? I can't tell.