In only approximate order of favoriteness -- and for the fifteenth year in a row -- here is my year-end wrap-up. As usual, a few of the entries on the following list were released earlier than 2017, but that is when I discovered them, so I'm allowing some slack. Though most were actually released in 2017.
This year I acquired roughly 88 new releases: about half were from 2017, a quarter were from 2015 or 2016, and the rest older. That's about the same number of releases as last year, but far less new stuff; and it's about half of the 2012 numbers. Also I notice that almost half of these are by bands I have been familiar with for years, which reflects quite a slump in discovery. Though I've been able to compile the mixtapes at about the same rate. I also feel like I saw a lot fewer live shows this year, though I haven't run the numbers on that.
Number of those bands that I saw perform this year: 8.
Number of those bands that performed at DNA Lounge this year: 6.
Both of those numbers are quite terrible.
As is becoming an unfortunate habit, I would feel better about myself if I had written a glowing paragraph about each of these excellent albums... but I haven't. Sorry.
I like these things. You should like them too. Here is your shopping list:
- EMA - "Exile in the Outer Ring" (This album should probably take up three slots. It's so good!)
- K.Flay - "Every Where Is Some Where"
- Vanbot - "Siberia"
- Annie Hart - "Impossible Accomplice"
- LCD Soundsystem - "American Dream"
- Charly Bliss - "Guppy"
- Los Campesinos! - "Sick Scenes"
- Gazelle Twin - "Kingdom Come"
- Ali Barter - "A Suitable Girl"
- Marie Davidson - "Adieux Au Dancefloor"
- Xylø - "America"
- Halsey - "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom"
- Decibelles - "Tight"
- Xarah Dion - "Fugitive"
- Plaitum - "Constraint"
- The Prids - "Do I Look Like I'm In Love?"
- The Golder Filter - "Still // Alone"
- The Regrettes - "Feel Your Feelings Fool!"
- The Dollyrots - "Whiplash"
- Sarah P. - "Who Am I"
- Sizzy Rocket - "Hot Summer"
- Vök - "Figure"
- Hydrogen Sea - "Court The Dark"
- Maya's Moving Castle - "Maya's Moving Castle"
- Void Vision - "Sub Rosa"
And finally, here's mixtape 191, which includes one track by each of the above artists.
Join the DNA Lounge Patreon, ok?
As always, thanks for putting this together, jwz.
I've turned this into a Google Play Music playlist here: https://goo.gl/NTRMpv
(The Prids' album isn't on the list yet, because it's not coming to most streaming services until the 12th. I'll add it to the list when it's available.)
And here's the Spotify version (similarly missing The Prids): https://open.spotify.com/user/samcgivern/playlist/2ZFrn5ne4faqQFWNQKsyHt
Not many comments here, so I wanted to show my appreciation. Thanks for doing these mixtapes so often, and thanks for these yearly lists. I’ve found a lot of my favorites thanks to you.
these are the best. i've made a lot excellent band discoveries here. cultivated treasure of the internet.
Thanks! I can't believe how many of these things I've done.