In only approximate order of favoriteness -- and for the fifteenth year in a row -- here is my year-end wrap-up. As usual, a few of the entries on the following list were released earlier than 2017, but that is when I discovered them, so I'm allowing some slack. Though most were actually released in 2017.
This year I acquired roughly 88 new releases: about half were from 2017, a quarter were from 2015 or 2016, and the rest older. That's about the same number of releases as last year, but far less new stuff; and it's about half of the 2012 numbers. Also I notice that almost half of these are by bands I have been familiar with for years, which reflects quite a slump in discovery. Though I've been able to compile the mixtapes at about the same rate. I also feel like I saw a lot fewer live shows this year, though I haven't run the numbers on that.
Number of those bands that I saw perform this year: 8.
Number of those bands that performed at DNA Lounge this year: 6.
Both of those numbers are quite terrible.
As is becoming an unfortunate habit, I would feel better about myself if I had written a glowing paragraph about each of these excellent albums... but I haven't. Sorry.
I like these things. You should like them too. Here is your shopping list:
- EMA - "Exile in the Outer Ring" (This album should probably take up three slots. It's so good!)
- K.Flay - "Every Where Is Some Where"
- Vanbot - "Siberia"
- Annie Hart - "Impossible Accomplice"
- LCD Soundsystem - "American Dream"
- Charly Bliss - "Guppy"
- Los Campesinos! - "Sick Scenes"
- Gazelle Twin - "Kingdom Come"
- Ali Barter - "A Suitable Girl"
- Marie Davidson - "Adieux Au Dancefloor"
- Xylø - "America"
- Halsey - "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom"
- Decibelles - "Tight"
- Xarah Dion - "Fugitive"
- Plaitum - "Constraint"
- The Prids - "Do I Look Like I'm In Love?"
- The Golder Filter - "Still // Alone"
- The Regrettes - "Feel Your Feelings Fool!"
- The Dollyrots - "Whiplash"
- Sarah P. - "Who Am I"
- Sizzy Rocket - "Hot Summer"
- Vök - "Figure"
- Hydrogen Sea - "Court The Dark"
- Maya's Moving Castle - "Maya's Moving Castle"
- Void Vision - "Sub Rosa"
And finally, here's mixtape 191, which includes one track by each of the above artists.
Join the DNA Lounge Patreon, ok?