jwztv 1.0

Hey, I wrote a thing: jwztv 1.0.

Critiques of my usage of jQuery, AVPlayerView, AVMutableAudioMix or NSScriptCommand are welcome. I haven't done a lot of any of that before.

Also: is there any way to inject an RVAD (Relative Volume Adjustment) tag into the metadata of a video file using an MP4 and/or MOV container? (Please note that this question is very, very specific.)

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.
Tags: , , , , ,

1. Phil says:

You realize that saying, "Critiques of my usage of jQuery, AVPlayerView, AVMutableAudioMix or NSScriptCommand are welcome" is like saying, "Yes, of course I'd like an enema with a thermite bomb, Monsieur de Sade."

(With apologies to Harlan Ellison)

2. dgm says:

Would be cool if remote viewers could see what's happening, but only not make requests. Right now it tells me the app won't work remotely and all that does work is that. I was a little disappointed when I was greeted with four blank boxes. I hoped to at least see the data populated. I can understand why you might not do even that, though.

It is 100% intentional that it does not do that. If you want to participate, leave the damned house.

• dgm says:

Haha. Bit of a drive from the middle coast. I'm sure I'll be in the area at some point and I intend to visit when that happens.

• Winston says:

But it's a long way from Auckland to San Francisco.

Then try to imagine how enthused I am for you to know what videos we're watching. This isn't for you. Watch the mixtapes instead.

3. ducksauz says:

Thank you! This is exactly the thing I need for VJing the weird ass videos I play for background during the CTF competition that we run at work. Now I don't have to spend $200-500 on DJ/VJ software that I will use exactly once per year.

However, looks like there's something up with the codesigning on it. On 10.12.4, I get the dreaded "jwztv.app is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash." error. Looking at it with spctl

% spctl -a /Applications/jwztv.app
    /Applications/jwztv.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

I don't seem to be able to workaround this by adding an override for it with:

spctl --add --label "My Stuff" /Applications/jwztv.app

I was, however, able to get it going by disabling system policy:

sudo spctl --master-disable

Running jwztv.app, approving the exception, and then re-enabling system policy:

sudo spctl --master-enable

Thanks! I think I figured it out -- zip mangled a symlink. Try the new version?

• ducksauz says:

Yup, that seems to have fixed it up. Just installed jwztv 1.1 on my work laptop running El Capitan and got the standard "This is an application you downloaded from the internet, do you really want to run this?" question. I get no errors from "spctl -a jwztv.app".

I thought it didn't ask that question if it was signed?

• ducksauz says:

In my experience, any signed application that I download with a browser gets that message. I just tested with TextMate, which is also signed and I get the same message. I believe the only time you don't get that message is when you install from the Mac App Store or via a .pkg installer.

4. nooj says:

This is truly beautiful! It is a happy easter, indeed! I can only hope that there are many easter eggs in here.

I find that when I play music videos, everyone suddenly has one they want to see, and it's some pop schlock I don't normally watch. But since I don't run the store, I have to honor these requests. Thus, I hope to be able to add to this a way to request download and playback of a given youtube video. It adds security issues, of course, but those can be handled.

So many players, iTunes included, stutter playback if you make changes to the library. I hope my changes don't cause those same problems!

I decided against adding a feature for download and playback of arbitrary youtube videos because I want it to be the Music Videos Screen, not the Cat Videos Screen.

• nooj says:

> Cat Videos

Oh god, exactly! The first request was of some stupid "remix" of gophers "dancing". I was aghast at what I had unleashed.

I dunno, man, people watch the strangest things.

5. Chad D Altenburg says:

Okay, I'm going to take the bait, and like, early this week, I'm going to go to DNA Pizza on 11th st so that I can check this engineering wonder out.

6. dgm says:

Depending on the audio encoding within the container. The most common I've seen are AAC and MP3. Either of those can do the RVAD adjustment without recoding the entire audio stream. I know you could do similar with libav tools but I'm almost certain it would mean ripping the file apart, copying the video stream untouched and just adding the new tag into the audio stream as it passes through otherwise untouched. Don't ask me for the incantation specifics. I'd have to refer you to lmgtfy or RTFM. I'm not really helping, am I?