Mathieu Tremblin Paints Over Shit Graffiti And Makes It Legible

Can Word Lens do this yet?

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously.

Tags: ,

1. phule says:

These are great.

2. Thomas Lord says:

The first pair is incorrect. What he translates as "182" says "S & M".

3. Laura says:

This is like being stuck in a bizarre computer vision demonstration talk, and not being able to leave.

4. rami says:

I'm going to go ahead and be the one that says that all graffiti is shit graffiti.

• asan110 says:

I'll be the one to say these scenes were all more aesthetically pleasing in their original form than with shitty helvetica plastered everywhere.

• rami says:

I don't understand why the fuck people have to put their name on public places. Nobody gives a shit about those worthless twats. They can all get fucked. Leave it white, or bare concrete. Stop polluting every open area with visual noise.

• Dave says:

You are wrong.

• gryazi says:

You are both wrong.

• jangle balls says:

the one who wanted to shoot a crossbow through the chest of both the tagger and the public servant who approved that megalumen LED billboard down next to the highway is right.

• reboots says:

The contrast between "HERBER" and that awesome crown tag makes Herber come off looking like a freedom fighter for humanity.

• bobbybobbob says:

Over a decade ago some kid stenciled pictures of his childhood friend "borf" everywhere. I'm not a fan of vandalism but I did tend to chuckle when I'd see them at the time.

On the other hand, why people just scribble their initials or whatever tag is a total mystery.

5. Cranstsplanifer Venn des Fap says:

Yes, the graffiti managed to be aesthetically the olds, but pleasantly done as such. I wonder if the soundtracks by moby were fixed as well? All done under the guise of CCTV possibly, so maybe that's the constraint...

6. Just Some Commenter says:

Tagging strikes me as mainly a nuisance / vandalism, but there's tagging and then there's tagging. After all, this project or whatever it is makes Tremblin himself a tagger. In the late 80s / early 90s in New York, the taggers Revs and Cost (commonly tagging as a duo Revs+Cost and vice versa) managed to be somewhat impressive through their ubiquity, the weird places they reached, and the novel approach of sometimes using crudely printed bills with their tags and surreal little messages, often about themselves. (It's not hard to see a line from this through to Shephard Fairey). So the challenge they found in tagging lay in raising the surrealism, the difficulty level and the effort required.

Revs has evidently returned, tagging via welded metal sculptures:

7. thielges says:

On the word lens question: yes it does. Sort of. It depends on the writers penmanship.

A few weeks ago I tried google translate on various French and Italian graffiti. Stylized tags like the examples here don't translate well. But wordy political graffiti does. I guess the political graffitists are motivated to communicate clearly. Live word lens looked remarkably like this artists overpaints with a mix of font sizes and colors. At any given moment 80% or so translated to English so you had to superimpose the legible stuff over time. It is trippy.

In the end translation didn't help me to understand the message since I don't know the local context. I got stuff like "the VBN is not honoring the Modena agreement. Oust Rizzo"

• Previously