BART night-work timelapse

Stick around until 2:00 to witness the ritual Sharpening of the Toecutters.

Tags: ,

1. Ben says:

The screeching on BART is frightening. I'm surprised to find out that they are aware of noise.

Nice use of thermite earlier though.

2. ChrisB says:

The thermite welding at 40 seconds is pretty fun too.

3. David Ashby says:

This sort of work window is what makes the NYC subway so complicated -- it never shuts down, so doing work on the local tracks is... complicated.

• David Ashby says:

And I just realized I said "complicated" twice in one sentence. Good job putting that English vocabulary to work, me.

Yeah, well, BART is truly glorious in its bad design. Hey, let's build a subway system that has no sidings and where everything is so nonstandard that it can't share equipment with any other train system in the world!

• David Ashby says:

No sidings? Were they insane, or just foolhardy?

• Nate says:

I believe that BART was the Obamacare of the 70s. It started out with good intentions, but once the rich people & powers that be got ahold of it, it ended up much less useful overall.

For example, the leg to San Mateo was killed because they didn't like the idea of public transit in those suburbs. That cut out a lot of tax dollars and participation. Then the way to get this approved by other suburbs was to make it out to be some kind of luxury transport, hence the excessive quantity of fabric seats. It will be just as comfy as your living room!

Anyway, lots of bad ideas in BART but I think the issue is at root that they tried to appeal to non-BART riders to get funds, and then ended up with an unmaintainable mess.

4. margaret says:

i assumed they'd all be chinese.

5. reboots says:

Forget the Zamboni, I wanna drive the Grinder Unit!

• Previously