Dark Matter, Howard the Duck

Dark Matter is the worst thing I've ever seen on television... ok, in at least six months. Let's take that one hallway set from Stargate Atlantis, call up Central Casting for some cheap knock-offs of the cast of Firefly, but wait, then let's give them all amnesia, Space Amnesia! Oh, and by episode three we've already trotted out Space Zombies. Oh, and in a clever screenwriting twist, the Asian dude is good with swords! And rub it all with extra Canadian. So much Canadian. (Including: the boring doctor girlfriend from Lost Girl plays a robot, doing her best Data impression but just looking really depressed/sad about it.)

On the other hand, the Marvel Team-Up with Howard the Duck and Doctor Strange is pretty much the greatest thing ever. Howard the Duck is officially the best thing in comics right now.

Tags: , , ,

1. jh says:

I like Dark Matter enough to watch it, but I don't see it getting a second season unless they push the story somewhere quick. Then again... Helix season two. As for the sad puppy android... that seems to be intentional as evidenced by her disappointment with being practically ignored when (probably) Real Jace was making off with the weapons.

2. Noah says:

I take it you haven't subjected yourself to Killjoys, then.

3. Michael V. says:

I... don't hate Dark Matter. Yeah the writing gets pretty lazy (Asian sword master and space zombies are exhibits A & B.) But, the mysteries have kept my attention, at least for the time being, and I actually enjoy the android. She's got a layer of subtle snark that Data could have used.

130% agree with you on Howard the Duck. I want Chip Zdarsky to write everything.

4. Kyle Huff says:

Ha ha ha! Yeah Dark Matter is pretty dire. All your hackneyed sci-fi tropes with 10% of the budget! I prefer Killjoys, probably because they do a better job with the dialog. But: worst opening credits song evar.

I would predict rapid cancellation for both, but somehow Lost Girl soldiers on.

5. Jeremy Wilson says:

I don't understand why they can't make decent Scifi anymore. I'm re-watching Atlantis right now and it's the worst of the Stargate spinoffs (a show infused with plenty of Canadian) and it's still 100x better than Dark Matter or Killjoys. Even Farscape managed to be semi-compelling.

They managed to make BSG, just do that again fer christsakes.

• Kyle Huff says:

SGU also sucked. An interesting premise wasted.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

I actually really, really liked SG:U. I was super bummed when they cancelled it in favor of wrestling.

All I want is some basic, tech-focused science fiction. ST:TNG, Stargate SG-1. Is that so hard? Instead we get hand-wavy "nevermind the science part" things like the Doctor Who reboot.

6. Can't not read Dr. Strange's lines in Dr. Orpheus's voice.