Geo-IP, again

If you work at Youtube, can you tell me what country the system thinks 199.48.144.20 is in?

Bonus points if you can tell me how to fix it.

I've wrestled with this before and still haven't figured it out, years later.

The answer is not "US", even though that is the case. Here's a video that it won't let me view from that IP, with the error "The uploader has not made this video available in your country": 7KzK-1M3QjE.

And here's what the API says about that video's restrictions:

... "allowed": [ "UZ", "ZW", "UM", "ZM", "ZA", "LV", "BS", "SA", "SB", "SC", "JO", "SE", "JM", "SG", "SH", "SI", "BY", "SK", "SL", "SM", "JE", "SO", "MH", "BB", "SR", "ST", "BF", "SV", "BD", "SY", "SZ", "JP", "BO", "BN", "BM", "BL", "KH", "CR", "CU", "PE", "KI", "PG", "PF", "PA", "KM", "KN", "PM", "CY", "CZ", "PN", "PH", "PK", "KG", "PT", "KZ", "CC", "CD", "CF", "PL", "KP", "CI", "KR", "CK", "PY", "CM", "CN", "CO", "DK", "DJ", "DM", "DO", "KE", "DZ", "LY", "US", "KY", "LS", "LR", "LU", "LT", "UY", "LI", "UG", "LK", "UA", "LA", "LC", "LB", "EG", "EE", "EC", "BR", "BH", "PR", "EH", "CH", "ET", "ER", "ES", "BW", "BV", "MZ", "MX", "MY", "MV", "CL", "MT", "MU", "RO", "MS", "MP", "MQ", "RS", "MO", "ML", "MM", "RW", "MK", "RU", "BZ", "MF", "MG", "MD", "KW", "SJ", "MA", "FO", "FM", "FK", "FJ", "FI", "BT", "SN", "FR", "NG", "NF", "NE", "BI", "NC", "NA", "NO", "NL", "BA", "NI", "WS", "NU", "NR", "NP", "BG", "WF", "NZ", "GL", "GM", "GN", "MC", "GH", "PW", "GD", "GE", "GF", "GG", "GA", "GB", "MW", "GY", "BJ", "GT", "GU", "GW", "GP", "GQ", "GR", "GS", "TR", "TT", "TW", "TV", "OM", "RE", "TZ", "TC", "TD", "TG", "TF", "TH", "TK", "TJ", "TM", "TL", "TO", "TN", "GI", "CA", "IT", "MR", "SD", "HM", "MN", "HN", "HK", "VN", "YT", "HU", "HT", "QA", "PS", "HR", "AI", "AO", "AL", "AM", "CG", "AF", "AG", "AD", "AE", "AZ", "AX", "CV", "CX", "YE", "AR", "AS", "BE", "AQ", "AW", "AT", "AU", "ME", "ID", "IE", "VU", "IN", "IO", "IL", "IM", "IR", "IS", "IQ", "VI", "VG", "VE", "VC", "VA" ]

From comparing that list to the list of all country codes, I can infer that Youtube thinks I'm in: "AC", "AN", "CW", "DE", "EU", "SU", "SX", "TP", or "UK" ... or maybe "" or NULL or something.

Update: I think it's fixed now. A fellow inside Google said: "I looked at our IP mapping data for 199.48.144.20, and it actually looks like we don't have a Geo mapping at all for it. That means it falls back to the "none" country code, which causes all kinds of havoc with things like YouTube." He opened a bug report with the Geo team, and a few weeks later, I am now able to download that video. Unfortunately, he also told me that there was absolutely no way I could have caused this problem to be fixed on my own, without involving an insider doing me a favor. So if this happens to you, good luck.

Previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. b says:

Perhaps it thinks that IP belongs to the republic of Null Island? ;)

2. packetslave says:

Sent you an email.

3. Andreas Krey says:

I think youtube does some scoring/browser identification. I used a swiss VPS as proxy for youtube, but when I accidentally used the same browser/computer from germany without a proxy, then afterwards the setup with the proxy stopped to work as well.

So it might be that you just were too long in $BLOCKED_COUNTRY with your laptop.

4. Nathan says:

It is doubtful Google does not locate the IP correctly (while free services like freegeoip gets it right http://freegeoip.net/json/199.48.144.20). There must be another problem.

5. Peter Kovář says:

https://geoiptool.com/en/?ip=199.48.144.20 says it in the USA,so GOOG screwed something again.

6. Lloyd says:

You are in the state of SX.

SX to be you!

7. Peter Kovář says:

8. Nate says:

It's not geo IP. You or someone on your netblock has been bad. It could be that you're using youtubedown too much or some other nonstandard usage. That's why they don't want to reveal to you why your IP is on their shit list as it has nothing to do with country, and they're not going to let you fix it.

Try using a different IP on the same block since I see you have a /28

9. jwb says:

I checked some stuff and our geolocating systems are 100% confident that your entire ASN is in US. So there must be something else going on.

Well, a fellow inside Google says "I looked at our IP mapping data for 199.48.144.20, and it actually looks like we don't have a Geo mapping at all for it. That means it falls back to the "none" country code, which causes all kinds of havoc with things like YouTube."

He opened a bug report with the Geo team, ref b/21892070, but implied that any holding of breath would be ill advised -- and also, no, there is no way I could get this fixed without involving an insider doing me a favor.

• jwb says:

Welcome to Google, where we have multiple, independent geolocation systems that's don't interact.

• flodadolf says:

GOOG: Too big to live, too strong to die. Like a 300-year-old walnut tree collapsing under its own weight, shedding huge portions of itself on a regular basis to try to stay healthy, and succeeding at doing so only on a glacial scale because the core itself is rotten and the top keeps getting bigger anyway.