The Flashularity

Is there a graph anywhere of how quickly Flash security updates are coming now? Is it accelerating exponentially? Has is gotten to multiple times a week yet?

I'm pretty sure we've already reached the point where the security updates are coming faster than my desire to run Flash -- that is, every time I want to play Flash, I have to update it first. Kind of like how every time I turn on my Playstation, I can't actually play any games until it spends two hours downloading updates first.

I guess that's a good sign, coffin-nail-wise?

If you use Safari, ClickToPlugin is decent. It translates many Flash players to HTML5 players, including Youtube.

Previously, previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Dave Polaschek says:

If you use Safari, setting you user agent (in the developer menu) to Safari for iPad prompts many sites to feed you HTML5 too, thanks to the ghost of SJ still hating flash.

2. J. Peterson says:

I thought YouTube had already abandoned Flash?

3. jwz says:

And that 90s DOSbox-looking installer that Flash still uses on MacOS really inspires confidence, too.

• Tim says:

Especially what with it requiring administrator privileges because it just has to install systemwide (under /Library/) instead of allowing you to install for your user account only (in ~/Library).

4. Karellen says:

Did you see Microsoft's announcement about partnering with Adobe for IE10? My guess is that all the unexpectedly excellent work they've been putting into the last few IE releases have made it so stable and secure that it no longer "feels right" to all the die-hard IE users. So, to calm their nerves, MS decided to introduce the most destabilising influence it could possibly find...

5. TimeDoctor says:

Uninstalling Flash on my mac has made atrocious websites bearable again, I end up using Chrome as a kind of flash sandbox for the few websites that demand it.

6. I've been doing without Flash on my Windows and Linux machines for months now and can't say I miss it. I still have it on my Mac mostly because Air Mozilla live streaming still requires it (ha-ha) but I have it set as click-to-play. It's depressing how many sites want to run flash, probably for ads.

• Previously