Speeding millionaire gets 54,000-euro fine

Let's hear it for Finland:

Finland's speeding fines are linked to income, with penalties calculated on daily earnings, meaning high earners get hit with bigger penalties for breaking the law. So, when businessman Reima Kuisla was caught doing 103km/h (64mph) in an area where the speed limit is 80km/h (50mph), authorities turned to his 2013 tax return. He earned 6.5m euros (£4.72m) that year, so was told to hand over 54,000 euros.

The scale of the fine hasn't gone down well with Mr Kuisla. "Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed that I would seriously consider moving abroad," he says on his Facebook page. "Finland is impossible to live in for certain kinds of people who have high incomes and wealth."

In 2002, an executive at Nokia was slapped with a 116,000-euro fine for speeding on his Harley Davidson motorbike. His penalty was based on a salary of 14m euros.

Tags:

1. incster says:

I lived in Helsinki for a few years. The system works pretty well, and is quite fair. People take the speed limit much more seriously than they do elsewhere. Of course, everyone in Finland thinks that they are a rally driver.

2. "Christ, what an asshole."

3. Liz Jones says:

When I was there, my Finnish host got slapped with a 2,000 euro fine for going about 10mph over the limit. They also do this weird thing where the driver comes and sits in the police van while they run his/her background and finances. I spent 20 minutes alone in the car wondering what exactly was happening.

• phuzz says:

They do that in the UK too, partly so they can give you a good telling off if they can't be bothered to actually charge you.

4. Liz Jones says:

5. Kyle Huff says:

Grub that money, municipal bylaw enforcers! Grub it hard!

• cd says:

Of course, Finnish police don't get funded that way, and hey, it's a national law, not a municipal bylaw, but don't let that get in the way of your rantlet.

• MetaRZA says:

Herp derp derp, derp derp herp! Herp herp derp!

6. Leonardo Herrera says:

This is quite fair, except that I don't like Big Brother looking into my bank account (not that I have a cent now!)

7. Jon says:

German soccer player Marco Reus was fined 540000 Euros in Dec 2014 for driving without license.