Shouting into the void, this time Bandcamp.

A message I just typed into the feedback form on Bandcamp that I'm sure won't be read:

Subject: You make this too hard.

Guys, you really need to solve your payment problem. You're making it far too hard for me to give you money. I was about to buy a bunch of albums, but it's such a pain in the ass that I just gave up instead.

1) You won't remember my credit card info.

2) You make me use Paypal. I don't have a Paypal account because I think they are a terrible company, and using Paypal to check out with a card but no account is a huge hassle. (I'm sure they intentionally make it harder than it needs to be, because they suck.)

3) If I put 6 albums in my cart and check out, you make me enter my credit card info SIX TIMES. This is insane. You realize this is insane, don't you?

You have used Amazon, right? Click once, receive candy. You need to be like that.

Also, WTF, you won't let me submit this form without picking some random album page. Thanks for making it even harder for me to contact you. I'm LOGGED IN. Why are you Captcha-ing me?? You are apparently saying here "We do not want your feedback." Christ, how much more customer-hostile could you make this process?

Thanks.

Fucking contact forms. What the hell is wrong with email?

Fortunately, Amazon has un-broken MP3 downloading (the link to use "Amazon MP3 Downloader" has returned, so you don't have to deal with the despicable "Amazon Cloud Player"), so I'm back using them again. Alas, some of these bands weren't on Amazon.

Previously.

Tags: , , , ,

1. So the reason you're checking out six times is that you're not paying Bandcamp- you're paying the artist directly. If you ordered two discs from the same artist, it would probably allow you to enter info just once for that purchase. SOMETIMES your money goes straight to Bandcamp, but that only happens if you happen to be making the purchase that pays them their 10% (which is actually 100% of every 10th purchase, presuming all purchases are at the same price.)

They could solve this problem by allowing payment through something other than PayPal, maybe, but they can't do anything about it without doing that.

• Edouard says:

What the - I don't even.

The shits I give about why they chose to design it this way -- let me show you them.

• Aaron says:

Yes, they can, by accepting payments directly and then disbursing them to the artists. It'd be a significant effort, to be sure, but the UX would suck a whole lot less, and all of Bandcamp's artists combined almost certainly generate sufficient transaction volume to keep the fees quite low.

2. I really hate the multiple checkout system too, even with a PayPal account. I do appreciate just about everything else with Bandcamp.

3. John Adams says:

It seems like we might want to fix #1 for DNA. I agree with you on all points, Bandcamp is a gigantic pain in the ass.

4. Amazon MP3 downloading is still broken on Linux.

• gryazi says:

These days you just go the Cloud Music Storage Player thing (whatever it's called this month) that still won't let you upload on Linux, but you can eventually suck the MP3s out without too much hassle other than spawning 16 downloads at once, which freaks out every browser, and then trying to figure out what happened to the last 4 of them.

Also durr, I was going to be the guy who says I managed to not have the bandcamp multiple-payment problem but that's because I was buying everything from one "label's" store. I guess forming a virtual(?) label is practically a workaround for that? "Rosso Corsa Records" most probably deserves the publicity anyway.

5. gryazi says:

I should also note this form of "am I at one store or ten?" design (thanks, Newegg) really screws with you if you've fallen for what's now "PayPal Credit" and buy enough shit that would ordinarily trigger the usual promotion - but no, now you don't realize you'd be in for 30% interest in a month until you log into PayPal and see that it's 7 'different' orders each under the promotional limit.

The intention was probably easy returns/refunds, because that's how it always worked to support eBay, but on eBay you expect separate transactions rather than only finding out that 4 of the things in your cart are 'Marketplace Sellers' at the end when you go to pay.*

*Before I get crap that Newegg makes 3rd-party sellers as obvious as Amazon does, this was on their "Newegg Flash" site which doesn't.

• Previously