Oh good, RSS spam.

Either Feedly or Newsify (I don't know which) has begun inserting "sponsored posts" "ads" spam into my RSS feed.

Is there still no better iOS alternative to this bullshit?

Previously, previously.

Tags: , , ,

1. Elusis says:

Data point: Feedly isn't doing it on my Firefox version.

• John Bloom says:

Can confirm everywhere but on iOS. Not seeing ads in Feedly on Chrome, Firefox, or Android.

2. Mark Welch says:

I haven't seen sponsored posts on InoReader yet, or at least none that are clearly designated as such.

3. Will says:

It's Newsify, and they'll take cash money 99¢ to stop via some in app purchase. While I don't have any issues with paying 99¢ for an app, I find the bate-and-switch obnoxious.

4. Feedbin (paid, thus no ads) and then sync with Reeder. Caveat: iPhone only, developer of Reeder has iPad version submitted to Apple as I recall.

• Jan Ingvoldstad says:

I second this, but you make it seem as if Feedbin doesn't have other options for reading than Reeder on iPhone. :)

When I'm on the go, I use Reeder, which is by far the best RSS reading smartphone user interface I've had the pleasure of using.

But when I'm using a more traditional computer, I use Feedbin's website, which is also pretty good, with reasonable keyboard shortcuts, and it's using Readability, which helps a bit.

Usually, I'd refuse to pay for such a service, but after checking out most of the free alternatives, the conclusion was easy: it's worth the money.

• My 'iPhone only' comment was in response to Jamie asking specifically about iOS ;-)

And yeah I also think the Feedbin website isn't half bad for those times when I'm not reading feeds on my phone.

• Olly Hodgson says:

As of today it's gone open source! No need to pay if you'd rather host it yourself.

5. KTamas says:

Newsblur has a pretty decent iOS app (which is free). The service itself is $24 per year (hey, they have a business model and stuff!)

6. Ben says:

I recommend the Feeddler app on iOS, it is plain & simple, with no annoying gesture controls. Works with a variety of Reader clones, e.g. The Old Reader and Inoreader. Haven't seen any spam disguised as RSS through either. (Feeddler has app ads if you use the free version)

• A second vote for Feedler (specifically Feedler Pro -- costs peanuts, adds nice extra functionality). I use it to sync with FeedHQ.org -- paid, $12/year. This works fine as an iOS solution, and all I want now is a decent desktop OSX client (the web interface at FeedHQ isn't to my taste).

• jal says:

ReadKit is reasonable for OSX. I have a few minor gripes that I've relayed to the author, but it generally works fine.

One important thing to note is to treat it as an endpoint, not a canonical referent for your OPML list - it does not export.

7. Stuart McDow says:

One to watch: inoreader.com Great web interface. Finally released an Android app recently. Hopefully, the iOS version isn't far behind.

8. Ben Donley says:

I wish I could tell you this is your fault for refusing to pay a little money for a valuable service. But unfortunately all of the alternatives I've tried are terrible for one reason or another, paid or not.

I think that gives lie to your argument that this is an easy problem to solve.

9. Jack Coates says:

Feeddler Pro backed by Bazqux.com, no problems. Costs little, works well. IOS apps are fabulous, bazqux's website is on the right path (minimalist while still functional) but still somewhat annoying (can't find how to hide comments until I want to see them).

• chad says:

Look at the row of icons along the top that control different layout options. Select the second one , l2r, and you're set.

10. Ken says:

If you use feedly, I have been using Byline for years on iOS, and it now syncs with feedly. The main reason I use it is that you can limit the feeds you see in the iOS app. I like this since I can see all of my feeds on the desktop, but for mobile I don't want the firehose. For Byline, you just make another folder, and add whatever feeds you want on mobile in that folder (in addition to their existing folders), and in Byline you tell it to use that folder as the root. And it uses the feeds' other folder as their Byline folder. I hope it makes sense, but I think it's pretty awesome.

11. perlguy9 says:

I'm using FeedWrangler as the backend, with Reeder on iOS and ReadKit on Mac. Pretty happy with it so far.