Chvrches

Tags: , , ,

1. jwz says:

This band only has one EP out -- where did all of these people come from??

Hah, I just noticed that their cover of "I Would Die 4 U" is called "I Would Die 4 V".

• David M.A. says:

Yeah, but it's a good EP. And everyone loved "The Mother We Share" -- it's like a more accessible The Knife.

I don't think they sound anything like The Knife. I think the only people who say that must have stopped listening as soon as they saw the title of that one song.

• the hatter says:

It seems that they gained their popularity in a medium not related to physical formats. I hear it's popular with the youth of today. Those kids, eh ?

They've been getting mainstream airplay in the UK off the back of their efforts, so I hope they succeed in translating popularity into cash in their pockets so they can continue doing what they do.

Someone not just looking to score smartass points would have correctly interpreted "they only have one EP" as "they have only released four songs".

• the hatter says:

Not trying to be a smartass (for a change), there are only four tracks that you can purchase, but they've recorded, made available and performed a good number more, which is enough to make them popular. What I was getting at is that popularity is divorced from sales. Being a smartass is pointing out the nuances of 'released', I'd guess a record label releases things to purchase, a band releases songs into the wild.

2. Micah says:

I love them! I saw them during SXSW and I'm gonna see them again next week and I'm excited.

I also liked this video for "Lies" a lot. Not even a music video so much as moving album art for the single.

• tkil says:

Ok, between that video, the ones in the roller rink (from the Pitchfork site upthread), the other videos where she looks a bit like Shirley Manson but with Siouxie Souix makeup (from Detour Scotland), and the overall tone of their music, I feel that they managed to take a chunk of my nostalgia-tinted '80s experiences and put them back on the screen.

I don't know whether I'm captivated or appalled (or both).

[One of the comments elsewhere described it as "music from my fictional 1980s prom". +1.]

[And as for the static, back in the late 1980s I had friends that were doing experimental theater and video production, with Amiga video toasters etc. Other than being on a 16x9 CRT(!), this video could have come straight out of that era...]