Illustrator

Dear Lazyweb, how do I make Illustrator CS6:
  • Open documents in new windows instead of tabs.
  • Turn on Rulers and Grids by default;
  • Change the default size of new document windows to be less than full screen.

CS6 is a lot better than CS3, but seriously, fuck tabs.

Also, how do I bind ⌘Z in Photoshop to "Step Backward" instead of the useless "Undo" toggle? That's been driving me crazy for like a decade. Who thinks it's a good idea for Illustrator and Photoshop to have different Undo bindings??

Tags: , , ,

1. Tabs: Preference-> User Interface-> Uncheck Open Documents as Tabs (As far as I know there is no way to completely disable the tab functionality, so, it may still dock your windows into tabs if you are moving one open window on to another)

Grid/Ruler: I believe this is tied to the document. You can either create a Template, or just have an empty file set up the way you want and use that to start working, adjusting document sizes after opening. I have never found a sticky function for turning that on application wide.

Change Default Window Size: This also is tied to specific documents, same as Rulers & Grids, so same method should work for you.

Wow, thanks! I don't know how I missed that checkbox the last five times I looked.

• I had to go searching for it again, even knowing it existed.

Consistency across their applications is one of Adobe's many many many UI failings.

Gah, this is horrible.

So, in Photoshop, I want my image window and my various palettes to be separate top level windows, so they aren't all blocking the view of other shit on my desktop.

If I detach them all and turn off tabs, then when I open a file in Photoshop it opens in its own window. But there's still this gigantic gray window -- with nothing in it -- behind it. Close that window and the document closes. Make that window tiny to get it out of the way, and newly-opened files open ridiculously tiny too.

WTF.

• If I am reading that right-
        In Photoshop -> Window -> Application Frame should be unchecked.

YES! Thank you again.

• Once you get Palettes, keyboard shortcuts and such all the way that you want them. (you can also go in and hide menu items completely of things you never need/use) You should go to Window -> Workspace -> New Workspace... and save it. That way, will always have your default configuration saved.

Because at some point, photoshop will fuck it up, or it's preferences will be corrupted, or gremlins will move shit around, and the workspaces are saved outside of the general preferences as their own files.

• On that same note, it does not hurt to save a back up of the preferences file as well as the Photoshop folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Make sure that you have quit photoshop, as a lot of the preferences are only written on quit

And if you iconify that big useless blank thing, it de-iconifies every time you foreground Photoshop. Awesome.

2. Oh, as for the undo.

In Photoshop, go to Edit->Keyboard Shortcuts

Select Panel Menus from the pop up list.
    Scroll down to History
    Change step Backward to Command Z

Also, under Preferences->File Handling, you can set the number of Undos

• Shit, Preference->Performance
      Is called History States

• NelC says:

Alternatively, you can use Command-Option-Z to go back through the history, if Illustrator is like Photoshop.

Come to think of it, though, the number of times I forget and repeatedly mash Command-Z, editing the shortcuts might actually be a better solution.

• NelC says:

Ugh, reading failure, you are actually talking about Photoshop for that one. No need to say anything, I shall go flagellate myself now.

3. Jeffrey says:

Photoshop has a Keyboard Shortcuts pane under the Edit menu that lets you change all of the keyboard bindings.

4. M.E. says:

I won't presume to ask jwz himself, but can someone explain why jwz hates tabs? I don't want to question the preference, but I feel like I'm missing something. Can someone like, write a poem that will help me empathize? Something that will allow me to viscerally comprehend this incomprehensible Other?

5. Richard says:

CS6 is a lot better than CS3

Srsly?

This must be the first Adobe product or product release which has improved. (Aside that is from skunk-works Lightroom, which somehow escaped the horror that is Adobe product development, but is in the process of assimilation, note "Photoshop Lightroom" branding.)

I'm still stuck keeping a PowerPC version of Illustrator around (which in turns means no MacOS "upgrade" past 10.6) because DXF import (and some other shit I may have mercifully forgotten) were so completely hosed in at least the following 3 subsequent releases I tried.

If, based on this quasi-recommendation, I find that spending time or money on a new version ends up filling me with rage, well, ... I know where you live ...