DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.
Tags:

1. nooj says:

Fifteen thousand!? Holy god!

What's your legal requirement if the alarm goes off? Do you have to get everyone out of the building? Or do they just leave of their own accord because it's go goddamn loud? I lived in a brand new building in Palo Alto for a year, and we had stuff like this. After three false alarms, I kept 35dB earplugs (the best I could find) by the bed. It was still deafening.

The Fireman's comment when he cleared the alarm? "Don't burn your toast."

2. James says:

Does the fire department charge for the false alarms? If so, is there a civil liability angle that could be used to get the fog-detecting smoke detectors turned off during business hours?

• nooj says:

False alarms in our building were $1000 each, unless someone got a phone call to the FD to cancel before the engine left (which never happened). (Real alarms surely start at the $1000 appearance fee.)

3. Ian says:

I used to be responsible for the safety of bands etc who came to perform at my university. The earth leakage circuit breaker on the main 200A electricity supply for the stage tripped at something like 15mA, compared with something like 50mA for one for a domestic 13A socket. Obviously, the first thing I was taught to do by my predecessor was how to disable it.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

Perhaps open up those smoke sensors and discretely disconnect a solder joint.

4. Ian says:

Who signed this off as fit for purpose in that environment? How good is their professional liability insurance?

• nooj says:

His name is Mr. Fire Marshal, and it's fantastic. He's protected by deeply intertwined, foot-thick layers of bureaucracy, case law, and policy. Remember, no one ever gets fired for overreacting to a tragedy/threat/risk.

5. Something's rotten in SF. We are currently refitting a a venue (UK) and there are only heat detectors on that floor of the building.

PA trip is standard though.