Street texturizing.

I had no idea.

Tags: , , ,

1. David M.A. says:

Now that is a neat trick.

2. Bob R Kenyon says:

Not texturizing, they're shaking the pavers to lock them into the sand.

3. rjb says:

With electric cars offering so little in the way of approach-noise, I can see this becoming a cheap means of returning vehicle audibility back towards levels we'd come to expect from the internal combustion engine. Shame that.

• MattyJ says:

Blind people not withstanding, we wouldn't even need that if people didn't just wander randomly into the street without looking. I've never seen it so prevalent as it is in SF. I didn't think I'd have to pay so much attention when I go through a green light.

4. Jon says:

That's amazing.

5. Phill says:

Hey,

Your images are all showing up as 'egg testicles' in google reader. Just a heads up - I was thoroughly confused for a minute.

6. jml says:

After looking at this again and again, I think I've finally figured out what I'm supposed to be seeing. Are they using a metal form and a tamper to cut a grid pattern into the asphalt? And if so, do they go along behind and fill in the cutouts with anything? (I live in Atlanta, where the only streets that look like that weren't done on purpose. I assume that's why I had such trouble figuring out what was going on here in the first place.)

7. Josh says:

I'm really hoping that is not asphalt. Asphalt is hugely expensive these days. I'm hoping SF is actually trying out something more regular than cobblestones, but which will age well. Lots of other cities have incredibly pretty alleyways, which drivers prefer not to use because of the stonework, rather than asphalt.

8. Kevin Lyda says:

They do that in Ireland for the wider "ramps" (speed bumps). They look like bricks but it's just red coloured asphalt that they flatten a wire mesh over. It's a neat trick.