Browser cache, do you fucking speak it yet??

Is there still no fix for this yet? Jesus, Mother of Fuck, this is irritating. I'm tired of having a browser that has only one window and no cache.

Maybe I could have JavaScript implement its own god damned browser cache by dumping everything into local storage? Or does the iPad dump that shit willy-nilly too?

Tags: , , , ,

1. Rick O says:

Using localStorage is a common trick these days to work around that bug and others. It's trivial enough to iterate over form[n].elements and serialize them to JSON and stuff that in localStorage that we teach our students to do it. Stick a singleton timeout in an onchange and a deserializer in onload and you've got bug-proof forms in a few dozen lines of JS. Does iOS Safari support anything akin to bookmarklets that you could use to monkey-patch noncompliant sites?

The pedants will tell you that sessionStorage is supposed to be used for this sort of ephemeral stuff, but be not led down that path toward madness.

2. relaxing says:

While we're at it, can we do something about "8 tabs is enough for anyone and if you try to open more, we'll reuse an old one, you probably didn't need that window right?"

• Ian Young says:

am I hallucinating, or did it used to warn you that you were out of tabs? I thought one day "Oh, they must've fixed the limit" only to discover that HALF OF MY HISTORY HAD DISAPPEARED.

3. I found this very informative.

4. John Bloom says:

Maybe it's worth trying Chrome for iOS? Or could this be a problem with UIWebView itself? I guess you can look forward to iOS 6. Also, (and I'm really not trying to troll here) have you been keeping up with Android? Things in Android-land are a hell of a lot better now that they actually put together some guidelines for the UI. And Chrome for Android definitely doesn't have a problem with losing the text in a text field on a tab switch (or at least I haven't been able to trigger it).

• John Bloom says:

Responding to myself: Ah, just read the "previously" thread. I forgot that iOS doesn't let you pick default apps for URL handling, so disregard the suggestion to use Chrome for iOS. OTOH, I am curious if you still think Android is a total train wreck in terms of UI.

• Lun Esex says:

You're not seriously asking this, are you?

• crowding says:

Chrome for iOS does the same shit.