A Mole of Moles

What would happen if you were to gather a mole of moles in one place?

The outer surface of the Mole planet radiates heat into space and freezes. Because the moles form a literal fur coat, when frozen it insulates the interior of the planet and slows the loss of heat to space. However, the flow of heat in the liquid interior is dominated by convection. Plumes of hot meat and bubbles of trapped gases like methane -- along with the air from the lungs of the deceased moles -- periodically rise through the mole crust and erupt volcanically from the surface, a geyser of death blasting mole bodies free of the planet.

XKCD doesn't usually do it for me, but his new "What If?" series is off to a decent start. Relativistic Baseball is also nicely gory.

Previously, previously, previously, previously, previously, previously. (I don't think any of you ever click these, but I'm gonna keep putting them in.)

Tags: , ,

1. I don't think any of you ever click these

FWIW, I do.

2. sclatter says:

I recently noticed that the earth weighs approximately a mole of kg.

3. David says:

I enjoy the Previously links.

4. samble says:

i fuckin click em

5. I almost always click every previously link, one of my favorite parts of your posts. Though I can easily see how you'd think no one clicks them since the people who don't click them seem to be far more likely to post replies for some reason.

The Baseball what if is my favorite so far...but the yoda one I had some major issues with. I'm just worried that like XKCD itself this will turn out to have a fairly low ratio of really great entries separated by a bunch of "meh" - but I'll still read through all the "meh" in hopes of hitting those hidden gems.

6. I read the shit out of 'previously'.

7. Phil says:

I love "previously." Somehow, I had missed the "They're made of meat" video despite the fact that I habitually read the blog.

8. Jake Nelson says:

I usually just hover over each previously- usually the URL reminds me what the linked post was. If not, I click.

9. Mike Fisher says:

When I read the original post, I was reminded of the not-Previously linked transubstantiation post.

10. Jeremy Leader says:

"It's made of meat" was the only "Previously" I hadn't yet seen. Based on the name, I was expecting this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE (cashcab guy as alien in a meatsuit).