Light Asylum

So, I saw these guys at SXSW and bailed on them after 1.5 songs because they were 15 minutes late, and then did a 15 minute sound check, and I had places to be -- you do not pull that shit at a festival like that. Anyway, several people said they had a great live show, which I did not even remotely experience in that song and a half, so I gave them another shot, but I didn't experience it again tonight. Now let me be clear -- it sounded great, and I love their recorded material, and you should buy their album, but they have no show. People who think they have a show must be comparing them to DJs instead of to bands. It's true that the vocalist did occasional fills over the canned drum track, but when the drum-heavy song starts, and the person with sticks in her hands is just standing there bobbing her head... that's a fuckin' problem for me.

If this sounds like the band that you are in, please, for the love of all that is rock and roll: befriend a bass player and/or a drummer. Don't let your mere enthusiasm be the Maginot Line between you and karaoke. You won't sound that different, and people who have actually seen a show will think they are seeing one again.

Also, here's our Fuck You Apple moment for the evening:

Let's say the show has just ended, and you're leaning against the bar looking at the photos on your phone, select the two you like, hit "Share", and pound out a bitchy blog post like the one above... and then you decide, "I'd better pop over to Safari and make sure I spelled 'Maginot' correctly..." then you go back to the Photos app, and your post is gone. So you check the Drafts folder in the Mail app, and, no, it's gone.

So you have to re-type it from memory. Fuck You Apple.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Out of curiosity I tried your sequence, and it works for me -- when I went back to photos app my email was still there with the text I typed. I'm using a 3GS with iOS 5.1.1. I even made sure to look up Maginot on Wikipedia.

(I tried switching between Safari and the Photo app by both going back to springboard and also by double-tapping the home button and fast switching. Same result both ways.)

I dunno. This is not the first time I've been screwed that way. Re-select Photos, and it's back to "take a picture" mode and the in-composition message is just gone.

• I can replicate your observed behaviour using this sequence:

- take photos with camera app
        - while still inside the Camera app, navigate to camera roll
        - hit share icon
        - select photos
        - hit 'share', 'email'
        - type email text
        - switch to Safari
        - fast switch back to Camera app

Now I'm back to take-a-photo mode and my email is gone. (Tried going to the Photos app and can't see it there either.)

But it doesn't happen if I replace the first two steps above with:

- take photos with Camera app
        - go back to springboard and open the Photos app, navigate to 'Camera Roll'

i.e.: if I start the sharing process in the Photos app and not the Camera app it works for me.

• Lun Esex says:

It appears then that if viewing photos from the Camera app actually SWITCHED you into the Photos app, rather than using the library call that does "access photos from inside another app," this problem would go away.

I can see how on older hardware they'd want to avoid the time it'd take to shut down and re-start the Camera app after loading the Photos app, since it was pretty slow. That's no longer a good argument with current hardware, though.

Of course they could also just fix the damn Camera app to not fail like this. I've found the iOS Camera app to be one of the more crash-prone apps in the system when doing anything more complicated than just taking a picture, though (there's some state in which I find it ALWAYS crashes when going in/out of a sleep/wake, but I can't remember the exact details). I'd be a little more confident of its stability then if it actually DID do a full-on switch into the Photos app when I wanted to view/manage/send photos. Also, that way I could be in the middle of writing/addressing a photo in email and still be able to switch back to the Camera to take new photos in the middle of it.

2. Lun Esex says:

I'm so used to not trusting that text I've entered into some app on my phone will still be there after switching to another app and back that I've gotten into the habit of not just doing a "Select All"/"Copy" first--just like with forms on web pages--but frequently also switching into the Notepad app and pasting it into a new note before checking whatever it was that I needed to check in some other app.

I've heard of similar problems on Android. Dunno about Windows Phone, but, y'know... Windows Phone...

It so sucks that "modern" mobile OSes are frequently about as trustworthy about not losing your data when context switching as web browsers are when hitting a form "Submit" button.

("Select All"/"Copy"/"Post Comment"...)

This is worse, though, because not only does it throw away the text, but also the set of photos you had selected, so you have to go find them again.

3. M.E. says:

If it's any consolation, it still totally reads like an impromptu rant.

4. cthulhu says:

While in general I despise seeing a live show without a drummer, I must admit that the Kills (seen opening for the Raconteurs a couple of years ago) managed to pull it off; they used the drum machine tracks from their albums. Of course, not every band's lead singer has the stage presence of Alison Mosshart, and Jamie Hince (aka Mr. Kate Moss) plays a mean guitar. The pair's songwriting is pretty good too.

5. Sheilagh says:

has your text been swimming in bleach? I could swear that a few weeks ago it seemed to switch from the green that we the pleebz get, to smoething lighter but still greenish, and now it seems pure white? Are we gonna lose you to The Ascension, like halo-kitteh?