Brodustrial: WWJD?

Ad·ver·sary calls out Combichrist for being misogynistic, racist fuckheads -- while opening for them.

It was when I got booked to play Kinetik, and I found out that I was scheduled to open for Nachtmahr and Combichrist. Given how strongly I feel about the way they do what they do, I didn't think I could just get up there and play and pretend as though I wasn't going to be followed by these two acts that I've openly criticized. I actually considered just cancelling my performance, and being done with it. I don't want to be associated with what they do, and I don't want to be a support act for them, even in a festival setting. But I took some time to think about it, and at some point I was listening to Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death and thought, "What would Jello Biafra do?" He'd use the stage time to tell people why he's pissed off. And so here we are.

They played this PowerPoint behind their last song:

Later in the linked article, the Combichrist guy rebuts with, "Hey, I'm just kidding with all that misogyny and racism, can't you take a joke?"

In case you couldn't have predicted that.

Industrial music began circling the drain in earnest in around 1995 and has been fully dead as a genre since 1999, and this brodustrial jock-rock bullshit from bands like Combichrist certainly brought nothing to the party.

"Football season is over, Veronica. Kurt and Ram had nothing left to offer the school except for date rapes and AIDS jokes."

Tags: , ,

1. plums says:

So I just listened to Combichrist for the first time. Aren't there iPhone apps that can generate that kind of music yet? Surely a band still doing what sounds like EBM from 20 years ago, but angrier, is on the cusp of being obsoleted by software.

Ad·ver·sary sounds pretty good though.

on the cusp of being obsoleted by software

You say that as if you assume that everything they do -- except for the swearing and boots-wearing -- isn't already provided by some software plugin.

2. Xeno says:

This is excellent and shall be shared.

3. Different Jamie says:

Loved this

4. Different Jamie says:

Loved this part:

[...] but usually it’s very simple: if it’s really fucked up, it’s fiction. If it’s something emotional, it’s not. It’s very easy, but maybe people get it mixed up.

Maybe I'm getting it mixed up, but self-awareness doesn't exactly seem to be this fella's strong point. Although it must be nice to have "fucked up" and "emotional" not intersect in one's life.

5. Kesey says:

I only had my first listen to Combichrist recently after having people recommend them to me for years and I thought they were rubbish. They sound like someone who heard NIN's "Big Man with a Gun" and thought it was the most awesome thing ever.

6. Jeff says:

I've never heard of any of these bands before, but now that I have, I feel as if the part of my brain that detects & processes pretentiousness just exploded.

7. drew w. says:

i have to admit, i enjoyed the hitler-with-skrillex-hair clip.

8. Jon Dowland says:

I'd only heard of Ad·ver·sary before, but I couldn't remember why. Then I found "bone music" on my portable music player. The guy gives away all his music because he believes "music should be free". I don't agree with that, but on the other hand, I most likely picked up his album by reading about it being free somewhere else.

9. Sophi Zombi says:

I really like their music and hated that 'feminist cunts...' line before now, though I fell into the trap of thinking I'm being a touchy feminist and it's designed to offend. But good on you for this PP presentation. Making jerky comments about feminism is one thing but that music video I'd never seen before is abhorrent. Furthermore wearing that flag!? Well done to you for putting your stage time to good use and getting this up online to be shared. I'll be thinking twice before listening to these misogynist racist assholes again.

10. Thanks for sharing this video - I actually laughed aloud at "Can you guess the third?", and the "Isn't Industrial supposed to be shocking?" interrogation and the "Reject" imperative at the end seemed particularly nice from a rhetorical point of view.