Another fall down the Pigface hole

As you may have noticed, I occasionally fall down a music hole where I find myself compelled to listen to one song over and over and over again. I got a surprising number of re-posts on the last one, even though I'd been telling you about that band for like seven years already, but none of you listen. Well anyway, tonight I went to Bootie, and on the way home, while trying to wash out that coppery Journey after-taste, I fell down a Hips Tits Lips Power hole.

Come on in, the water's fine:

The above is not a real video, because as I think I have mentioned before, though Pigface was the World's Last Industrial Band, there is no decent video documentation of the epic, face-melting power of their live show.

Lyrics on this track are by Lesley Rankine, later of Ruby, a band that inexplicably managed to bridge the gap between industrial and trip-hop. If you have not heard the Salt Peter album, fix that, because it's one of the best albums to come out of the Blighted Nineties.

(For Pigface, start with Fook or the Preaching to the Perverted comp.)

Tags: , , ,
Current Music: as noted

1. I rinsed Salt Peter so many, many, many times in my teenage years. Great album.

Remix album was bollocks, though.

2. Buddy Casino says:

Looks like a hell of a show, is there no video evidence whatsoever?

Btw., i'm in awe of this guy, is he a regular guest or part of the band/crew?

3. Will Sargent says:

I didn't know anyone else even listened to Ruby. Tiny Meat's one of my go tos.

4. Matt McKeon says:

I did the exact same thing a month or so ago with Sick Asp Fuck. Could not stop listening. Pigface + Ogre + Evil Mothers = win.

• Steen says:

Back at my old stomping grounds that was known as the He Was Very Hungry song. "I ate everything I ate everything I ate everything I ate I ate"

5. Steen says:

I feel like there are other bands who have bridged the Hip Hop / Industrial divide. Stromkern comes to mind, and Meat Beat, but I suppose they don't count because they were really operating before that divide existed.

I said triphop, not hiphop. Skinny Puppy was pilfering hiphop beats in 1984, and the early Meat Beat stuff is almost entirely Public Enemy samples.

• Lun Esex says:

Don't forget Consolidated! for industrial/hiphop (not triphop) bridging, and Public Enemy sampling. At their early shows after they stopped playing at the end they'd have the house lights turned up and pass mics around for a Q&A with the audience. Sometimes people would ask them what music they listened to, and they'd all point at the big Public Enemy sticker on the drumkit.

They toured the U.S. with Meat Beat in 1991. Talk about a perfect fit. I think it was Club DV8 where I saw them for the San Francisco show. First club I'd gone to that had walk-through metal detectors in the entryway; though they weren't in use that night.

And speaking of the music scene in the '90's, when Consolidated! went on that tour around the U.S. the audiences outside the Bay Area must've really jolted them. By the time they got back to San Francisco they'd instituted a strict "no moshing/slam-dancing" policy, and they'd regularly stop the music when they were playing live and tell everyone they weren't going to start again until the audience stopped. It was so weird, since Consolidated! shows had always had the most polite mosh pits of any shows I'd ever seen. By 1991 word must've gotten around in the general U.S. about industrial shows being the place to go if you're angry and want to be violent in the dance pit, though.

6. Techno Animal, too? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czrpe-0mG0

I also really liked The Bug's industrial/dancehall crossover stuff, too.

7. paul yoon says:

Managed to catch Pigface in L.A. when I was DJing at my college's radio station, awesome show in a tiny club whose name I forget. I think at some point they had like four drum kits onstage, although it's possible my memory has inflated that number. Definitely more than one though. If I'm not mistaken the opening band was Silverfish, who I remember liking quite a bit even though the only song I can remember off the top of my head is "Pink & Lovely". Good nasty noise/punk in the Amphetamine Reptile style, and Lesley's band before Ruby. Wikipedia says this would have been 1991, which sounds about right to me.