"American Pain"

The deluge of cash became a problem.

Employees could be heard on the wiretaps complaining about cash drawers being stuffed to the top. It wasn't worth keeping dollar bills, so those were separated and then burned by the barrel. Bigger bills were stuffed into garbage bags, then hauled to a bank. Chris George's wife, Dianna, accepted the chore of making these rather suspicious deposits, although not without grousing that she'd become her husband's "money mule."

This would have been a "jump the shark" moment on just about any tv show.

Tags: , ,

1. pavel_lishin says:

Wow, I thought that photo was a before-and-after shot.

Cash. Not even once.

2. If you are literally burning money then you are doing something horribly wrong.

3. jmags says:

I'd heard about this somewhere, but I hadn't seen the picture. It definitely adds a lot to the story.

4. Dave Pease says:

this is a ridiculous story. too many $1s? do the strip clubs in flo only take money that jingles?

5. Tim says:

It amazes me that they can funnel $40 million dollars through this operation and never think of buying a cash sorting machine. You can get them on ebay for $150.

• Ben says:

I assume it wasn't a sorting issue - sounds like they sorted out the $1's just fine - it's what to do with them. 100 lbs of $1 bills is ~ $45,000 - a drop in the bucket compared to what they were taking in. If my math is right, that'd be a stack about 16' high. They already were filling safes with (presumably) $100 bills & still didn't have enough physical room.

Why it didn't occur to anyone to just drop a trashbag of $1's at some charity is another question.

(feel free to correct my math - I'm going with ~ 1g per bill, .0043" thick per bill)

• Elusis says:

Surely you overestimate the charitable impulses of people who have such an... unusual moral framework overall.

• LafinJack says:

Also, trashbags of money showing up at charities would draw attention to where they came from.

6. Jonn says:

Amazing how the dude on the right happens to resemble every stereotype of a douchebag ever.

Every

single

one.

• hattifattener says:

Almost every. He doesn't have Characteristic Douchey Facial Hair. Or, um, a bluetooth earpiece.