DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein, to our eternal shame, we are closed on a Friday.
Tags:

1. Jeremy Wilson says:

I'm curious - why don't you just open as a bar, with no specific event?

Doesn't work. Too big.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

Up here, most clubs and bars don't have events on weekend nights - they save those for during the week to fill up what would otherwise be empty nights. Friday-Sunday are usually packed with just the house DJ playing.

What do you think is different about SF nightlife that you need an event to draw people on a Friday night? I'm genuinely curious.

• Elusis says:

Here's an idea: why don't you personally cover the staff wages, wholesale alcohol costs, fractional insurance, utilities, and other costs I haven't thought of for DNA to open tonight, and you can keep the gross?

• Jeremy Wilson says:

I'm not telling him to open - I'm asking what he thinks the difference is between nightlife in San Francisco vs. Toronto, where a club the size of DNA has no trouble filling up on a Friday night without having a specific event.

Queen St. would be the equivalent area here and there's lineups at every club and bar along Queen, Adelaide and Richmond on Fridays.

Is it the number of people? The type of people? I see the cities as very similar in demographics, so do the people there just not go out like the suburban popped collar types that inhabit our club district?

I'm just asking his opinion as the resident expert on the subject.

• Lun Esex says:

Might have something to do with the fact that San Francisco doesn't have a "club district" that people can just head towards and then go bar hopping at.

Similarly San Francisco doesn't have a "theatre district" or a single "red light district" (although there's some concentration on Broadway, there's also other scattered spots with a cluster in the Tenderloin where it crosses Market St, and in the Polk St. area).

This kind of ties in to how on Halloween in San Francisco there used to be Halloween in the Castro, which would overwhelm that neighborhood, and now that the city enforces NOT having an event there everyone is scattered all across the city that night.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

Ahh, I assumed that clubs and whatnot clustered together like they do here, so people can just head to an area for a night out. With everything scattered, you have to plan, so event-based stuff makes more sense.

That's great for them, but honestly I don't care. It's a different business, in a different city, a different country, and 3,000 miles away. It's hard to imagine it having less impact on my life, even assuming that your outsider assumptions of the economics of their business are correct.

2. pavel_lishin says:

And after the plumbing inspectors come the curtain inspectors, to make sure they're up to spec for visiting DJs...

3. nooj says:

Wow, not having a booking agent really sucks!