Yes, they are called "No". If they wanted to be even less searchable they'd have needed to go with "http". They sound like The National. Maybe you can just search for that.

Tags: , , ,

1. Different Jamie says:

Hadn't thought of it that way, but The The were unsearchable before there were search engines.

• David M.A. says:

Not just before them: The The confused early versions of the google hive mind, since it used to ignore articles.

• Lun Esex says:

It was a bitch searching for rare The The tracks on Napster/Audiogalaxy/etc.

The trick was to search on a song or album title, then browse the libraries of the users hosting valid results for other tracks. By searching for a rare track or mix in the first place, the likelihood of finding fans who had other rare tracks (rather than casual listeners who just had the radio friendly hits) increased.

The numbers of confused people who misidentified songs between Nina Hagen and Nena in the ID3 tags was another thing I considered a major annoyance (especially as the vast majority of both artists' work wasn't available in the U.S. at the time).

• Jed Davis says:

Also not the same in a way that occasionally escaped people: Dion DiMucci, Celine Dion.

• I found myself screwed by an MP3 naming scheme that I specified based on a year misspent in the library sciences. So now I've got half of them under "The The" and the other half under "The, The".

• Different Jamie says:

That really amuses me. Thanks. Coding schemes FTW!

• moof says:

The computer system our public library used in the late eighties simply ignored the first mention of "The" for titles and authors; naturally, the proper way to search for Matt Johnson and pals was to search for 'the the the'.

2. John Carter says:

Worst I can think of would be calling a band "And".

"Welcome our guests tonight And...".

• Joe says:

I still think an unpronounceable symbol is worse.

• John Carter says:

True, it's worth noting that !!! is still apparently ungooglable. Do they actually refer to themselves as Chk Chk Chk, or is that just something the fan's came up with?

I'd have thought for day-to-day reasons you'd need to be able to verbally refer to your own band, though I suppose "X's band" would do.

If you chose something that didn't even exist in Unicode then people are going to have to refer to you somehow, and then you've got a de-facto name (thinking of TAFCAP here), and are then googleable. Whereas something that is pronounceable but is basically a nothing word could actually be more awkward.

• John Carter says:

Bleah, grocer's apostrophe.

• Lun Esex says:

The band known as in the early '80's did all of those things at the same time.

When they got a contract the record label insisted that they use a name that could be spelled. So they chose "Freur," which was intentionally difficult to pronounce from just the spelling, without hearing someone say it. (I've usually heard it pronounced "Fru-er," which is kind of like "fewer" but with an "r" between the "f" and first "e.")

According to Wikipedia the UK music magazine Sounds referred to the band as "Elephant with a stick of Rhubarb" because of the shape of the squiggle.

Many people know them better now as the electronica band Underworld.

• Not That Jamie says:

I knew some folks a long time ago who called themselves "One Dollar Beer". Shockingly, they had a great deal of difficulty booking gigs.

3. Tape says:

it's too bad they don't sound like the opposite of Yes.

4. Lun Esex says:

I've thought it'd be funny to have a band named "Special Guests."

Think of the service they'd be doing their fans by introducing them to new music when they inadvertently go to all these gigs they think the band is going to be playing at as the support act.

Another amusing band name I thought of would be "Check... One... Two..." Imagine the free publicity they'd be getting at mic checks everywhere.

5. I wonder if band named "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters... (You get the gist. I'm not going to paste the whole text here.)" would get their name shortened.

6. Jon says:

I could forgive such naive thinking 10 years ago. 'A' thought they were being really clever, until the ability to search for your name suddenly became essential for anyone finding you. But now… lessons have been learned!

• Lun Esex says:

Not to mention the band X from Los Angeles, the band X from Japan, and the band X from Australia.

X from Japan "lost" in the sense that they formed five years after the other two (1982 vs. 1977 for both the L.A. and Australian bands), and had to be renamed X Japan, but then it's probably easier to do a search on their name, so they "win" there.

7. Chris Davies says:

Is thebandcalled.no already taken?