Cymbals

When I am Benevolent Dictator, there will be no entertainment permitting, but cymbals and snares will be controlled substances with a licensing exam.

They are the ketchup of music.

There's nothing wrong with ketchup, but some people think you should just drown everything in that shit.

Tags: , ,

1. Lun Esex says:

As opposed to mayonaise, which should just be eaten straight from the jar.

More ketchup?

2. Mark Welch says:

I have a 50 watt bullhorn.

3. WTF Pancakes says:

Does that mean something from Peter Gabriel's 3rd album will be your national anthem?

I have quite a list when I'm not-so-Benevolent Dictator. I'm starting with the folks that use a "K" instead of a "C" to make their shop seem more "folksy." Up against the wall with 'em all.

• Erbo says:

Well, the Third Album didn't use any cymbals, but it did use the "gated snare" sound invented by Phil Collins and Hugh Padgam. In fact, "Intruder" was written around that sound. But still, snares.

• WTF Pancakes says:

I would have sworn those were toms. That said, my ears aren't the most cultured around.

• Erbo says:

Well, you know how the background beat of "Intruder" is basically "boom-boom-DOOM-boom, boom-DOOM"? The "boom" sounds are toms, and the "DOOM" sound is the gated snare.

Also, the sound should be credited to Phil Collins, producer Hugh Padgham (correct spelling), and engineer Steve Lillywhite (who I missed in the first go round).

Well, it is definitely one of the best albums of all time, and I'll fight anyone who says different.

For those who don't get the joke that these elderly prog-rockers are making here, "Peter Gabriel 3", sometimes known as "Security" or "The one with Shock the Monkey on it", was technically notable in a few ways, including that it was one of the first albums to make extensive use of the Fairlight, an early minicomputer masquerading as a sampling keyboard; and Gabriel imposed a "no cymbals or snares" rule during recording, which required his musicians to find their high frequencies elsewhere, generally by brutally abusing guitars and using samples of found sounds.

To their secret shame, the industrial kids owe a great deal of both their technique and their gear to Gabriel, Genesis and King Crimson.

4. Infrogmation says:

Demonstration of proper use:

http://youtu.be/U3W6w-6Vctk 5:45 - 5:55

5. Different Jamie says:

Needs moar cowbell.

Sorry. Someone had to.

6. Would I still be permitted to have cymbals and snare drums with my scrambled eggs?