DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein we get to check another permit off the list.
Tags:

1. Dr Eggroll says:

It was a pleasant surprise that the opening sentence turned out to not be sarcastic.

2. mrbill says:

What I find amazing is how some Americans think we in Europe live in some sort of socialist nanny state. It would seem that it is worse in the US!

• Max says:

Most of those Americans probably think the same thing about California, never mind San Francisco.

• pavel_lishin says:

While I don't think that Europe is a nanny state, recently I learned that in Germany, most businesses are closed *by law* on Sunday. I think this is flat out insane, and basically marks the country off my list of places to one day live.

(Disclosure: I haven't done any research, and my understanding may be completely or partially wrong; I also have never been to Germany, though I'm going this fall, and looking forward to having my mind changed.)

• Jens Kilian says:

Totally true. The relevant law is § 9 ArbZG (in German). It states that "Arbeitnehmer" (= employees) may not be made to work on Sundays and public holidays. There are exceptions (§ 10), but you won't be able to buy anything except food (in a restaurant) or entertainment on a Sunday.

• antabakaYT says:

Yes, quite correct. And that's why we can buy booze and food at the gas stations 24/7.

• gronk says:

Here in .nl, we've had similar conditions; before 1996, you couldn't even buy bread on sundays in the netherlands. In bigger cities, there were a few specialized shops which were open only on sundays, but those usually only opened after 1 or 4 pm.

• Jeremy Wilson says:

I was going to question that, given that I've been in Hamburg on many Sundays and not seen anything closed, but then I remembered I spend most of my time on the Reeperbahn.

3. pavel_lishin says:

> Well, the commissioners looked at [ the list that the SFPD pulled out of their ass ], laughed at it, and approved our permit with no additional conditions over what we have now! I believe "Epic Win" might be the appropriate exclamation here.

Oof, the standards, they're lower than a green snake in a sugarcane field.

4. Wow, that video player sucks.

I find it disturbing that the officer quoted Yelp reviews as part of his report.

5. Dandelion Chocolate had to wait 18 months for their permit. Sigh.