DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein Comic Book Guy tells me how it is.
Tags:

1. DrewMC says:

Ok, I guess I'm one of the weird people who actually LIKES your colorscheme? (Though I'd have gone with amber for links, but that's me, and this is you.)

2. Luke Burton says:

I'd just offer encouragement: in a world where success is all about who you know and what connections you have, the only thing you can do is keep plugging away. It sounds like there will be a huge degree of luck involved. The right band with the right agent might launch your venue for live music overnight. I don't envy your position. I like my problems to be deterministic and able to be attacked using logic. The idea of having to schmooze entertainment industry agents fills me with teh stabby.

One more thing, perhaps for any agents listening: I would pay a premium for a venue with superior sound. I'm relatively new to the area and have only been to gigs at the Warfield so far. The sound there is absolutely terrible, and that's just the start. It's clear the place trades solely on its name and storied reputation, rather than any technical merit (perhaps an unfortunate lesson here …)

I saw Grinderman there, and later Mastodon, and for the first time in a long time I had to wear earplugs. Why the freaking hell do people trade clarity for volume? It was like being locked in a barrel and kicked over Niagra Falls. I don't pay money to see live bands and expect to also pay with permanent hearing damage.

It's not just the volume. I saw PJ Harvey there and it was also trash. The sound was hugely directional. It was a different concert if you moved from one part of the venue to another. I saw PJ Harvey in Sydney at the Big Day Out festival. Outdoor gig. She played solo on stage and it was like she was standing next me. Sound setup appears to be a difficult, but mostly solved problem, if people care to do so.

So it seems like the incentives for agents aren't aligned with selecting a quality venue, but selecting a venue that brings sufficient punters in. They seem confident that no matter how dreadful the event itself is, that people will come back for more purely based on the reputation of the band.

I can't even speculate on how to fix this problem, but I can say as a punter that I would prefer to patronize venues that prioritized sound. I'll forgive all sorts of other sins if you give me memorable sound.

3. gryazi says:

For the record, I, Comic Book Guy (actually worse, just a furry) dig the green.

4. Lloyd says:

It's not easy, being green. Hey, maybe you can book those guys for the all-ages high-school crowd!

5. Lloyd says:

"It's taken how many years for you to organise putting a sign up outside? And now you want to organise paying events?"

6. Vladimir says:

I've always felt that the stronger I hated a particular bit of negative feedback to my work, the more likely it was be the actual wrong bit about it. Changing that bit around has always turned out for the better. That said, I like green. And orange.