Bring me the head of John the Baptist

Ken Russell died today, and so I think you should take the time to watch this clip from his 1988 movie Salome's Last Dance (or, as we know it today, "The Hubba Hubba Revue") --

He made some amazing, twisted movies. Everyone will be talking about Tommy, but I highly recommend Gothic, Lair of the White Worm, Salome and most especially Altered States.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Enid says:

Lair of the White Worm! I saw that as a teenager. With my father. Talk about weird. Granted, he didn't know how weird it would be, exactly.

• Different Jamie says:

Ditto. I watched it with high school friends. One was (I think) a 7th Day Adventist, and the crucifixion scene resulted in her running from the room in tears.

• Edouard says:

"Do you have children"

"Only when there are no men around"

2. Andreas says:

Wow, a sad day indeed.

As a weird coincidence, this post is the first one for which google reader has decided to not fuck up displaying the embedded video.

I changed how I'm doing embedding somewhat. It will now fuck up less on Google and slightly more on aggregators that do the right thing.

3. Oh man. I basically blame "Gothic" and "Lair of the White Worm" for everything about me. A sad day.

4. extra88 says:

And The Devils! Which was only recently (finally) available on DVD in the UK.

5. Edouard says:

Aww, man, he was one of the true greats - that's sad news.

Almost all of his autobiographical doco for the British arts show "Southbank" is here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2D0BFE23F882D817

The internets has failed me in finding it whole and un-redacted though.

6. I feel like I just watched the end of "Sleepaway Camp: The Musical".

7. Michael V. says:

The Ken Russell commentary on the Lair of the White Worm DVD is well-worth a listen. He's pretty batshit.