DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein we have espresso!
Tags:

1. Jessica Beth says:

Wow. Those Blow Up photos are...kinda mind-melting, in so many ways. But what's with the ubiquitous Santa presence?

2. They were doing some kind of "summer Christmas" thing in the lounge.

3. fantasygoat says:

It's the same everywhere. In order to tear down the rotten, falling over garage at the back of my house I need a "destruction" permit, which required me to pay $1300 for a new land survey, and it gets submitted to the city for them to examine and decide when I can have an appointment to discuss it. Meanwhile the thing is a hazard.

To build a new garage, I had to hire an architect to submit plans to a *different* committee, who handle "fast track" submissions, but even though I don't qualify for that system because my garage design doesn't allow for 12' (feet!) of setback on a 25' property because I actually want to park a car in there, I still have to submit to that committee to have it rejected, so I can then apply to the correct committee who might give me a hearing sometime next year. At that point my neighbours can object to anything in my plan they like, and I have to start over again.

All that seems normal, but the real monkey wrench in the works is that there's a mature tree near the garage that needs to have a couple of branches trimmed, but in order to do that I must apply for a "right to injure" permit, which means hiring an arborist to come evaluate the situation and make sure it's okay to *cut a branch off a tree on my own property*.

• pavel_lishin says:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just knock the old garage down after a rainstorm, and claim that the wind did it?

Also, does anyone ever actually come and inspect all this?

• fantasygoat says:

Having it still standing makes the building permit easier, unfortunately. The really sad part is that no one will come to inspect the garage, but because there's a tree, they will *definitely* come inspect - because they care more about trees than buildings.

• badc0ffee says:

It might be easier to trim the tree/knock down the garage and eat the fines. (Of course this wouldn't work for building new; they would make you take the structure down).

• Matt says:

Dare I ask where this is taking place?

• fantasygoat says:

Toronto. Tree Hugger capital of Canada.

• Adolf Osborne says:

I think it is a good idea for me to never move to Toronto.

Where I'm from, if I want to kill one of my trees I just, you know, do it. I've got a friend that heats with wood who is skilled with a chainsaw -- all it takes is a small bribe of beer or maybe a good cigar to make it happen.

We fell the things right into the middle of the fucking lot, whole. And -then- we start cutting the limbs off.

Whatever brush and scraps he doesn't want to keep for himself, we pile up and burn in a monumental bonfire with flames licking as high as 40 feet tall.

We do this right in the middle of town, with about half a dozen neighbors within a stone's throw, and nobody seems to mind.

Well, except for this one crazy old bitch who lives out behind us, who told us we couldn't cut down a huge rotten mulberry tree because, you see, her dogs need the shade.

Now, to be honest, I hadn't really planned on doing anything with that mulberry except snack on the low-hanging fruit in the summer. But as soon as I was told I could not do anything with it, it became very obvious to me that it had to go. Immediately.

It was on the ground less than 24 hours later. I haven't heard anything from that lady since, which really is just as well...

• fantasygoat says:

We have to protect the "Urban Forest" so the lefty nutbags on council once again feel the need to tell us all what to do with our own property.

4. We just finally finished subdividing 2 acres out of my parents' 10 acre plot of land out in an extremely rural area (dirt road, the nearest neighbors are family). It took about 4 months to get through all the various planning commissions etc, mostly because they all meet once a month in the same week. All that hassle just to say we could make a new plot of land out of the old one, we haven't even started working on building a house yet.