I wish my feeds had a kill file for any page titled "[Number] [synonym for awesome] [nouns] that [verb]".

If you have ever written this headline, please throw yourself into a fire. Thanks.

(Oooh! A top ten list!)

Tags: ,

1. Mike says:

This is clearly one of Ten Bitchin' Blog Posts That Rock.

2. Whatever you do, do not subscribe to the Cracked magazine feed.

3. Andrew Wilcox says:

1 Great Post that Breaks RSS Readers.

Congrats, you broke my RSS feed reader AND your own recent comments widget by not titling this post.

4. fantasygoat says:

Bitches love top 5 lists.

5. David M.A. says:

7 Insane Internet Tendencies That Make jwz Hate The Network.

6. Different Jamie says:

In related news, are there any feed readers that have kill files of some sort, besides user CSS? Lots of things I'd like to kill that I can't come up with ways to do in CSS.

• freiheit says:

Here's something that just might work, but is more likely to annoy and torture you:

Set up a Yahoo Pipe that subscribes to the original feed, filters out the stuff you don't want, and gives you a new feed. Subscribe to that feed in your feed reader instead.

I've only used Yahoo Pipes to modify the items in a feed, but I suspect it can also remove items from a feed.

7. Surely, it can't be *that* difficult to get the low-hanging fruit with $title =~ m/\d+\s\w+\s\w+(e)?s\sthat\s\w+(!)?/ (or similar)... can it?

• I'm not sure how using regular expressions to address a pattern matching problem is even remotely related to the circumstance you reference.

• Off-the-cuff suggestions that the author could simply use regular expressions to solve his problem are quite firmly in the camp of "things likely to get one a snarky response" around here.

It still awes me how when jwz asks a question for which he genuinely needs an answer he doesn't get one, but if he posts a rant (which doesn't even need to be in the format of a rhetorical question) there's always some helpful soul ready with some banal "solution".