DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein there are some photos, and a bunch of bullshit.
Tags:

1. Reading your blog and spending a friend's 35th listening to one of her mates, who manages a small, music-oriented club in Wellington tell me about the half-dozen times she was assaulted in a week has caused me to add "nightclub owner" to "police officer", "child protection services" and a bunch of other jobs on my "ruining your faith in humanity" list.

2. Dan says:

In regards to the stolen poster: after all the years you've been in this business, and all the horror stories you've published, I'm surprised that you'd put anything in the "one-of-a-kind" class out where an asshat could get at it. That was a beautiful poster.

Then there would be no posters on the walls at all. "Let that be a lesson to you, Son. Never try."

• Dan says:

I just meant you could have made a cheap copy of any unique items and put that up instead of the hard to replace original.

Yeah, well, "Cheap copies" of that many posters would cost thousands of dollars, and look like crap. They're big, and there are a ton of them.

• Dan says:

I should probably stop commenting on this. A wise man once said "Let that be a lesson to you, Son. Never try."

• fantasygoat says:

Try contacting the original artist. I know I keep digital copies of all my poster designs in the full res versions, perhaps he might be willing to make a PDF of it for you to get a new one printed.

• Adolf Osborne says:

Seconded, though it's unlikely to actually work for various reasons (mostly the "perhaps he might be willing" part).

Even my local Wal-Mart(s) have good, large-format HP inkjet printers that produces rather awesome, huge prints on good, heavy, rolled stock.

And it's cheap enough that I have no intention of ever owning such a machine myself.

Color calibration? Cleanliness? Maintenance? Probably not happening, for the most part, but I submit that it is perfectly OK to have public-bathroom-art posters printed at Wal-Mart.

6-color wet offset with solid-colored inks? Nope, not happening. But then, high-res CcMmYyKk (or whatever) dithering is pretty good from more than a few inches away, usually.....

And if the print is obviously, egregiously bad in some way, it's easy to either have them either try again, or just bail out and not pay a dime.

3. That sucks about the poster being stolen. When I was a teacher in DC, I had a framed picture of my kids on my desk. Someone stole the frame right off of the picture. The frame was probably worth less than a dollar.