Wow, XCode 4 is completely incomprehensible.

I can't even figure out how to build my existing projects any more! WTF, Apple. This thing is a mess.

Also they seem to have finally removed support for building executables that work on 10.4 or PPC. I guess I don't care? It feels wrong to release new executables that don't run on hardware that I still own, though.

Tags: , , ,

1. David Glover says:

Just in case, XCode 3 is still available. It even got an update after the release of 4, so it's not completely abandoned.

2. dougygyro says:

Like much of other things, iTunes wags the dog for much of what Apple does. I've noticed that some applications (like Property List Editor) have been rolled into Xcode.app. Utterly random and likely overkill as far as bloatware goes, but there you go.

3. Andrew Wilcox says:

I've heard anecdotal reports that you can still install the 10.4u SDK in Xcode 4 and build against it using custom project settings. Like what I did with the 10.2 SDK in Xcode 3.2.4 (it is possible. don't ask).

That said, and I say this with the utmost respect for you and all that you've done: Use the CLI, noob. xcodebuild and friends works quite well, and remain largely unchanged. Especially since Apple royally buggered the GUI for Xcode 4. Integrating everything into one meta-application is so...Visual Studio-esque. I hate it.

Side note: I actually use CMake for everything, even apps that only need to run on one platform. It works great, can generate Xcode project files and .app bundles, and then I don't have to ever touch Xcode proper.

4. XCode 4 is evidently a polarising thing. Some people hate it... others love it. (I happen to fall into the second camp. IMO 4 is the first version of XCode which is actually usable, primarily because it doesn't require the management of dozens of separate windows...)

• Chris Dunphy says:

Indeed - once I got used to it, I started to love it.

And I had no problem whatsoever building any of my existing projects.

The single-window interface is really well suited to development on a constrained laptop screen. Juggling the bazillion windows in XCode 3 was a royal pain.

Ok, well, if one of you could download the xscreensaver source, load up its xcode project, and tell me which of the shiny buttons I need to click to Make It Go, that would be much appreciated! (No, I have not yet RTFM, but seriously, like I should need to?)

• Click the Play button to make it go, or Product menu -> Build.

If the Play button is disabled, you'll need to change the SDK. xscreensaver probably uses 10.4u, which as you say isn't supported.

You may need to change this for every target. Knowing xscreensaver's policy of one target per hack/screensaver, good luck.

5. neacal says:

You're kidding right? Up until this point, XCode was a hodgepodge of different tools, all sorta stuck together "well enough" to call it an IDE. With XCode 4, they finally took the time to really optimize for the common workflows, and to give me an IDE that deserves the "I"! This thing is awesomely well integrated! Granted, it took a bit of fucking around at first, to get used to the new way of thinking, and I still can't claim to completely understand _all_ the details... but it's still a net win, and a massive one. Just treat it as a new IDE, rather than another iteration of XCode, give in and RTFM (because you really do need to think about projects in a totally different way - "their way"), give it 8 GB of RAM and a 30" screen, and you'll see the light. ;)

These kinds of annual "learning experiences" are why I stopped using Linux.

• neacal says:

Well, I'd agree if it was "annual", but XCode really hasn't changed much in the last decade. XCode 4 is the first real overhaul, and after griping about it a bit at first, I've come to realize that it's actually pretty well thought out - all the things I griped about in my ignorance, they had actually thought of. Yes, the learning curve is a bit steeper than usual, but trust me, once you get used to its level of integration, you won't want to go back.

• neacal says:

By the way, I got your screensaver to build and run. To build, update the SDK in your project... the 10.4 SDK seems to be missing from the default XCode 4 install (not sure whether you can get it back somehow). To get it to build and run, edit the scheme and set the executable.

• Macs are only easy if something something?

• What annual learning experience is there with Xcode? It's been relatively unchanged for 10 years. Apple made available their Xcode 4 WWDC videos to free developer accounts last year, which take you through the workflow changes and explain the redesign. My favorite feature is tabs.

6. Jens Knutson says:

Following these instructions, I was able to get my project to build on PPC and the 10.5 SDK again. (Can't speak for 10.4 though.)