DNA Lounge update

DNA Lounge update, wherein DNA Radio gets an update.
Tags:

1. Tyler says:

You might be interested to know that wget can't download the *m3u files (403 Forbidden). Or you did it on purpose for some fucked up reason.

2. Karl Shea says:

Can't see the playlists, so I'm not sure what they are loading/what your server-side stuff looks like, but have you tried Flowlayer's RTMP plugin?

We were able to get seeking to work well with it, and there are tons of options for playlists and stuff.

It's Icecast, not RTMP. Icecast is basically just HTTP of an MP3 file with a few extra headers.

• Luke Lathrop says:

I am pretty sure that flowplayer will work for http streaming, but I haven't used it for an audio only file. It does work fine for video though, as does jwplayer. I use those all the time.

• Karl Shea says:

Ah alright... the problem with using any sort of Flash audio player then is that you need a Socket Policy File installed on your server to allow Flash to seek even for the just the Range header which is what iTunes is using to seek.

As far as getting a Flash player that supports Range, I didn't see much. Flowplayer has a pseudostreaming plugin that supports Range byte requests, but then only seems to work with mp4 and flv, not mp3 files. And prior to Flash 10, that header could not be sent at all which is probably why there isn't much support for it yet.

• Karl Shea says:

And anyway, it looks like for mp3s Range just isn't supported at all, unless it's wrapped in an flv.

Red5 for RMTP? Never installed it, so not sure how painful it would be. Probably not worth the pain just for seeking in a web browser.

3. Adolf Osborne says:

You will hate this suggestion, but:

Subsonic's streaming stuff is handled, by default, by jwplayer (which is either open-source, or licensed, or both -- I can't tell. I certainly paid nothing for it.). I've been using the combination for months, streaming my MP3s locally and playing them in jwplayer under Flash with Firefox over http, and really don't have any complaints.

I must say that as a particularly picky end user, this seems to work just fine. Seeking, too.

I'll beat it up with a ruddy cellular (instead of local LAN) connection and report back, if you're interested at all.