I think my entire block is running on UPS

The flickering lights are disconcerting.

Tags: ,

1. Tom Sparks says:

Genset for the win!

2. Pavel says:

Offer to drop an extension cord down to them, and watch the onset of an instant migraine. :)

3. spoonyfork says:

As I was walking home one evenin'
    I know this takes some believin'
    I met a group of creatures
    With the strangest lookin' features

A poor old dove and a worm in the weed
    And a fine old pigeon, yes indeed
    A daddy longlegs jumpet sprite
    As he danced to the reel in the flickering light
    Oh round we go, heel to the toe
    And the daddy longlegs jumpet sprite
    As he danced to the reel in the flickering light

4. bbot says:

Oh jeez, they should know better than to coil live cable like that. The coil won't heat up much, but an already marginal circuit could easily overload.

• Thomas Lord says:

Yeah, it's as if they've never done anything like this before and failure is assured.

• Plus, better than.... what? What other cable arrangement would work better? A tangle?

All of the pro high-amperage cable I've ever seen run, at least with large gensets and audio/lighting rigs, has been arranged in exactly the same way.

• Rae says:

Film-set electricians coil bandit (4 cables bundled together) into figure eights. I don't know why.

• hattifattener says:

I have a vague memory of a figure-eight coiling pattern that doesn't put any twist into the cable. Sailors worry about that; stage and film people seem like they might also. 'Course, there are non-figure-eight patterns that also don't put any twist in, so dunno.

• Jake Nelson says:

Figure-eight is basically the simplest non-twist pattern; in a fixed installation, many use a two-post rack, which makes it even easier.

It's a little bit not wanting to twist the cables, for various reasons, and a lot of those cables will fight a twist surprisingly strongly. Feel like they're alive and thrashing sometimes, the big ones.

5. Ray Arsenault says:

I have a similar Diesel-Powered UPS.

Very nice indeed, although rather thirsty, although mine won't power a whole block.