Dead Drops: peer-to-peer file sharing network, or USB Glory Holes?

Tags: , , , , ,

1. rane500 says:

$5 says someone gets arrested when a cop thinks someone randomly jacking their laptop into the side of a building looks suspicious.

• fo0bar says:

I would counter that someone randomly jacking their laptop into the side of a building does look suspicious.

2. jered says:

I love the idea and presentation as an art project (which it is). From a practical standpoint, the durability and connectivity of USB leaves much to be desired. I'd love to see a follow-up using WiFi or Bluetooth.. unfortunately, there's no cool presentation to take a picture of in that case.

• nojay says:

An acquaintance once hotknifed an Ethernet jack into the side of an Etch-a-Sketch as a joke. It led to a bunch of us thinking "You know, it COULD be done..." and wandering away in search of some stepper motors and an embedded controller.

• mentallill says:

But ... isn't the point that this takes power from the public side of things? Having a computer in your house that's fully under your control and communicates with the outside world using power you paid for is something we already have, I'm pretty sure!

And, yes, of course we'll have solar-powered flying/swimming/burrowing/magnetically-attaching-to-random-cars wireless robots providing anonymous and government-independent internet access to everyone by autonomously establishing meshing networks. Next year.

• lionsphil says:

Yeah, if you were daft enough to try to connect your laptop directly to one of these, it'd be a great way to ruin your USB ports. Plenty of leverage.

Which is exactly what the other photos show. Honestly, they call themselves geeks, but don't carry a USB extension cable on them?

I wonder if they all have an autorun.inf and a payload of Windows viruses on yet.

3. skreidle says:

Unrelated but relevant to your interests:
    Burn It With Fire, Acid, Plasma, Shooting Stars, I Don't Care What Just Do It Now! | Geekologie, where it's tagged [beep boop bop destroy, burn it with fire!, burn the rubber exterior and smash the metal interior!, creepy, do not like, eerie, face, facial expressions, gaaaaaaaaaaahh, helperbot my ass that thing came to smother me in my sleep and i know it!, hospital, humanoid, kill it!, nightmares, no no no, the opposite of cool, video]

4. kyhwana says:

That needs to be a female USB plug..

5. auntyglory says:

I shudder to think what a Glory hole is...