Today in Trademark Abuse news

La guerra de los Jarritos: Multinational manufacturer of repulsive sugar-water sues tiny, 22-year-old Mexican restaurant for naming their restaurant after the same kind of ancient clay pot that they did. SPOILER ALERT: restaurant caves because they can't afford to fight.
Tags: , ,

1. Well, that's infuriating.

2. vomitrocity says:

Jarritos is delicious. :(

(Hey, my captcha words are relevant! "of sameness" lol.)

3. elusis says:

Oh, similar shit is happening right here in Oakland.

• autopope says:

The golden arches tried to pull that shit here in Scotland, on a fish'n'chip shop named after it's proprietor (one Mr MacDonald).

They were spanked out of court, and ended up paying the defendant's expenses.

• blaisepascal says:

The version of the story I heard was that it was a bed and breakfast proprietor, and that he wasn't just Mr. MacDonald, he was The MacDonald, hereditary head of the clan.

Some checking seems to indicate that it isn't true. What does appear to be true is that when McDonalds sued a Scottish-themed snack store named McMunchies in the UK, Lord Geoffry MacDonald promised to rally to the defense of anyone in his clan who was threatened by a trademark suit for using the clan name in a business by McDonalds.

• jered says:

1) I agree this is shit, although part of the problem is that trademark law requires this kind of shit, but mostly it's overly aggressive lawyers,

2) HOWEVER, the "Little Mac" people are full of shit too. If they said, "we thought it was a funny joke, and we believe it is defensible under trademark law," then I'd be find with them. But they are _totally full of shit_ when they claim that their name as nothing to do with McDonalds, and that it reflects the fact that they want to have a small ecological footprint. I don't buy that for half a second. I think it's a very good name for a mac'n'cheese shop for the same reason they did, "Big Mac"/"Little Mac". Har har.

4. Aw! I love that place!

5. lherrera says:

So, you can trademark nouns, as long it's in some strange foreign language?